Help From Bc Or Ab Canadian Cakers!

Decorating By kaat Updated 13 Oct 2011 , 3:45am by tarabara

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 7

I will be making my youngest sister's Wedding Cake next July and could use some help.
I live in Ontario - she lives in Calgary, but getting married in Edgewater BC (near Radium Hot Springs). I have permission to use the Hall's kitchen and equipment but I have a few questions...

1) Would Altitude be a problem there (baking)? I was thinking it might, so I was planning on flying with the baked cakes. (frozen as I'll be flying in 4 days before the wedding)

2) Is there anywhere close by to buy supplies? I'll be flying into Calgary first, then driving to Edgewater the next day. If I can avoid transporting fondant, I will! Also handy to know in case I forget something at home!

3) Can anyone recommend a caker in that area in case this is all just too much or disaster strikes and we hire out the cake?

Any suggestions would be great! I've thought about making the cake here and transporting it (yikes!) but I'm not sure how easy that will be either!

Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 7

We don't have the best of choices for cake supplies in Calgary. There are plenty of Michaels of course and there is a place called PM hobby craft in the NE. They have a website and you can order online if you want to make sure you have what you need when you get here.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 7

Not sure about the supplies, whereas to the cake decorator I recommend Kiddiekakes she lives in Calgary & shes very creative

Here's her profile

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forum-userprofile-78.html

HTH

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 7

Hey Cupcations....Thanks for the plug!! thumbs_up.gificon_wink.gif

Yes..PM hobby has fondant and it is really nice stuff made by Dawn Foods called Deccorice which is pure white.Smells and tastes like cotton candy..It is $49.00 a 5kg pail.Other than Michael's that is about it for supply places...The altitude may be different in Edgewater than here in Calgary ..we are very dry here with almost no humidity...BC not so sure...

ingy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ingy Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 7

Hi There!

I live in Cranbrook British Columbia which is approximately 2 hours from Edgewater, i actually order all of my supplies from Golda's kitchen as there are only michaels and bulk barn along with pm hobby in calgary or lethbridge alberta the altitude should not be too much of a problem as you will be at the base of the rockies!

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks Everyone I appreciate the help!

tarabara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarabara Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 3:45am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the tip about the Decorice, Kiddiekakes! It's good to know there's a good-tasting fondant out there that I can buy if I don't feel like making it. Is this good for making flowers/sculpting as well, or is it too soft and better for covering cakes? Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%