Who Has Best Chocolate Frosting?

Baking By CandyLady Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 1:28pm by poohsmomma

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 11:46am
post #1 of 9

I have tried everyone's white but need a nice creamy chocolate for my boss's birthday cake Friday. Anyone have suggestions and I appreciate it. She has requested a chocolate cake with oreo filling if that helps.

8 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 9

I would probably just do chocolate SMBC and sprinkle some Oreo crumbs on the top.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 9

Ganache:
12 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Frosting:
2 cups butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup dutch cocoa (Droste)
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons milk or chocolate non dairy coffee creamer
5 ounces whipping cream
1 tablespoon pure vanilla

Directions

In a sauce pan add chocolate chips and the cream. Cook on low heat and stir until melted. Remove from heat and add the butter and vanilla. Stir until smooth. Let cool to room temp. In a large bowl cream together the butter and shortening. Add the remaining ingredients and the cooled ganache and whip until fluffy.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 9

ok, so make your chocolate cake, torte each layer, then fill it with heavy whipping cream that you have beat til stiff peaks form, i add 10x sugar(about 3-4 T. to a pint of whipping cream, then fold in crushed (about 20) oreo cookies.(whimsical bakehouse recipe) delicious, then frost it with the chocolate smbc or the recipe that sweettreat101 posted. I make that also and it is delicious. hth

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 12:03pm
post #5 of 9

thanks so much for your help..one question on ganache recipe...it sounds like it would be a little soft with ganache mixture, butter and shortening? It will be sitting out in the office so need something that will hold up well..what is your take on that?

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 12:39pm
post #6 of 9

Ganache sets up firm. Unless the office is hot, not a problem.

sweettreat101 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 7:55am
post #7 of 9

This frosting crusts it's not an overly soft frosting. It is wonderful to decorate with. I had no problems doing the basket weave on this cake. http://allrecipes.com/cook/13754506/Photo.aspx?photoID=218319 Unless your cake is sitting in direct sunlight you won't have any problems.

sweettreat101 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 8:02am
post #8 of 9

For the filling I have made a Oreo cookie mousse using two cups whipping cream and one small box of instant Oreo pudding whip until peaks form. Or you could use this one. Cookies and Cream Frosting - JessDesserts
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
a pinch of salt
2/3 cup vanilla coffee creamer
1 tsp vanilla extract ( or 1/2 marshmallow extract if you have it)
remaining crushed Oreos
* Mix together butter, confectioners sugar, and a pinch of salt until its creamy. Increase your mixer speed to high and beat until its light
and fluffy. Add creamer and vanilla. Beat until its smooth. Fold in crushed Oreos. Makes enough to frost 24 cupcakes.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:28pm
post #9 of 9

I love the recipe on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa can. I usually triple the recipe when I make it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%