Gumpaste

Decorating By UrsCor82 Updated 4 Oct 2011 , 3:00pm by bobhope

UrsCor82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UrsCor82 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 19

Help! So I made a huge batch of gumpaste and let it rest in the fridge for 24hr. It looks fine but now that I am trying to work with it doesn't seem to stick together. It seems spongy and when I try to roll it together it just has creases everywhere icon_surprised.gif What do I do??? Thanks in advanced icon_smile.gif

18 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 19

Hi, can you tell us the recipe you used? That will help us more.

UrsCor82 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 19

Yes it was a Tylose Gumpaste recipe. These are the ingredients...
4 - Large Egg Whites
1 - 2 lb. bag 10x powdered sugar
12 - Level teaspoons Tylose
4 - Teaspoons shortening

I mixed the top three ingredients in a mixer. I kneaded it in powder sugar and let it set in the fridge for 24hrs. I took it out and let it reach room temperature. Now that I am trying to work with it it just doesn't want to knead together. I squeeze it together but it just creates creases and feels spongy.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 19

Hi

I used the same recipe a few nights ago and the gumpaste was a nightmare to work with as well. I found that it dried out rather quickly and it was very difficult to knead any colour into it. I was almost tempted to throw out the entire batch and try another recipe.

However, when I went back to it a few hours later the texture had improved somewhat. It was easier to roll out but adding colour was still a headache (even after microwaving it for a few seconds and adding some more shortening).

My advice: leave the gumpaste out for a few more hours at room temperature and see what happens. However, I do need some advice on working with the colour.

Stacey

UrsCor82 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 19

After I took it out of the fridge i let sit at room temperature for another 24 hrs and it is still really difficult.

I wanted to get my figures done today so I can work on other parts of my cake done this week. I haven't had a hard time coloring mine but it still looks horrible and not smooth at all. Almost like it is too dry or something. It dries almost instantly!

Any other suggestions?!

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 12:07am
post #6 of 19

Did you try nuking it in the microwave for a few seconds at a time?

UrsCor82 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 12:17am
post #7 of 19

Yes icon_sad.gif i also did the shortening but nothing. I am tossing it and buying it premade!

Smore4us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smore4us Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 1:03am
post #8 of 19

I'm curious about this too and had a similar problem when I made this recipe. I could not roll a ball smooth, without creases, to save my life. This is the recipe that Edna De La Cruz uses. In the Tips section of the recipe posted on her website, she recommends using extra large eggs and that if using smaller eggs, you might want to add one more. That's what I'm going to try next time. HTH

UrsCor82 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 2:32am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smore4us

I'm curious about this too and had a similar problem when I made this recipe. I could not roll a ball smooth, without creases, to save my life. This is the recipe that Edna De La Cruz uses. In the Tips section of the recipe posted on her website, she recommends using extra large eggs and that if using smaller eggs, you might want to add one more. That's what I'm going to try next time. HTH

Yes I used that same exact recipe! She did mention that about the eggs. Not sure if I want to risk it again and waste so much ingredients...

tarabara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarabara Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 2:45am
post #10 of 19

I was thinking about making this recipe tomorrow...did anyone get their gumpaste to work? Or are there any other tips for what might prevent this from happening? I did buy jumbo eggs so hopefully it will work out all right. Are there other recipes for gumpaste that are better? Is it better to just add tylose to fondant or does that not really make gumpaste?

UrsCor82 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 3:32am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarabara

I was thinking about making this recipe tomorrow...did anyone get their gumpaste to work? Or are there any other tips for what might prevent this from happening? I did buy jumbo eggs so hopefully it will work out all right. Are there other recipes for gumpaste that are better? Is it better to just add tylose to fondant or does that not really make gumpaste?

I might try again another time with x-large eggs or 5 egg whites instead of 4. You should definitely give it a try with the jumbo eggs, it might work out for you.

I have added a little of tylose to fondant and it has helped harden quicker. Not as quick as gumpaste though.

I guess it's trial and error for most newbies icon_smile.gif I will know for sure next time. For now I am just using the store bought one icon_wink.gif

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 3:38am
post #12 of 19

hmm.. exact same recipe i'm using (the web says it's the same nicholas lodge uses)..i've been using it for close to 3yrs now but recently it has been a nightmare to work w/ it (it has previously been in my ref for more than a wk), it dries superfast, it has creases & cracks all over, no matter how long i roll it bet my palms =( .. i also made two other recipes i got from the web, one has no eggwhites & the other uses glucose... i'll know later w/c of these 3 will work best.. fingers crossed icon_rolleyes.gif .. will give feedback then icon_smile.gif

reading this post, somehow gave me a feeling of relief..i thought i'm the only one having problems..or maybe i did something wrong w/ the last batch i did before last night's icon_biggrin.gif

bobbie

icer101 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 3:45am
post #13 of 19

I have used this recipe for 17 yrs, Never a problem. Please go right by this recipe and you too will have no problems.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-688449-next.html&sid=80e6dfa472b8211b8c40cd0d0e2f882b

bobhope Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 3:54am
post #14 of 19

icer101..that's how exactly i made my last 3 batches in the last couple of months but they come out the same..i've been conscious that i make no mistake in measurements, procedures since i've been noticing problems..let them sit in the ref for 24hrs..bring to room temp before using them.. tried to work w/ it w/ a/c on, no help..a/c off, no hellp either... it's just frustrating icon_sad.gif

UrsCor82 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 4:09am
post #15 of 19

That is the recipe I made too and it was a no go for me icon_sad.gif

Although next time I will buy Extra Large Eggs because that might have been my problem. I will try again next time and post my results then...

icer101 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 4:37am
post #16 of 19

OK, be sure you are going right by the recipe. I have all these years, just use 4 large eggs for my whites. Not x-tra large. Be sure you take out the extra cup of 10x sugar to start with. After adding the tylose and you hear and see your mixer start making some noice and jumping a little bit. Grease your hands, I grease my counter top a little. I don,t sprinkle the 10x sugar on the counter top. I start kneading it, and it really kneads beautifully. I might need to add, maybe a tablespoon of the 10x sugar and most times i don,t need to add any extra of that extra cup we take out. After kneading it really good. I then cut it up into 4 peices and wrap these peices with saran wrap and then put these into a freezer bag and put in fridge over nite. It really doesn,t have to stay 24 hrs. I put in freezer most of the time , and just take out what i need as i go. I always put a little shortening on my hands and condition whatever amt. i am working with. hth

bobhope Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 12:32pm
post #17 of 19

thanks icer101 ... made another batch today..will see how it goes ..

i also tried this http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/gumpaste/gp-recipes.htm

scroll down a bit .. the recipe is by JOSEFA BARLOCO ... it came out very good to work w/.. not sticky at all & pliable & easy to smooth ..although it took a little while longer to dry than Lodge's recipe.. i molded the legs last night & it was dry & hard as rock this morning .. icon_biggrin.gif

oh, they don't allow the link icon_cool.gif ... anyway just copy & paste then icon_rolleyes.gif

.sugarcraft.com/catalog/gumpaste/gp-recipes.htm

well just google gum paste recipe by josefa barloco

UrsCor82 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 2:19pm
post #18 of 19

Thank you so much bobhope! I will definitely try this recipe next time! I've been having a hard time with the Wilton gumpaste too. It still creases but not as bad as the recipe I had made. So frustrating icon_sad.gif

bobhope Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:00pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsCor82

Thank you so much bobhope! I will definitely try this recipe next time! I've been having a hard time with the Wilton gumpaste too. It still creases but not as bad as the recipe I had made. So frustrating icon_sad.gif

you're welcome! let us know how it worked for you... i've also tried Satin Ice gum paste, easy to work w/ also but takes looonger to set/dry.. had to make it 50/50 gp/fondant or add more tylose icon_smile.gif

bobbie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%