Not A Very Dramatic Story

Baking By StormyHaze Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 1:03pm by imagenthatnj

StormyHaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StormyHaze Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 11

This was a very laid back costumer, so i dont feel too bad, but anyways I made this fantastic smbc and decided to make it strawberry flavored. When i was piping i noticed the liquid kept coming out the back end of the pastry bag, and it kept glopping on the floor.And when i looked back at the cake it kept sliding off of the sides of the cake! I debating never adding actual strawberry puree to icing again, because it seems to make things very difficult. when it was whipped into the mixer, it looked beautiful and smelled nice.

How did it separate after it was already completely incorporated??

10 replies
Mikail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikail Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 11

I curious to hear what others have to say because I only tried this once and it worked out well. I used raspberry puree that I had made. But, I was worried the whole time about the same issue... I got away with it but am concerned about future disasters... hmmm

donnella2045 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnella2045 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 11

I always worry about that happening. I just made a cake using SMBC Strawberry. I only use fresh strawberries and add about one cup of puree to a batch. To make it more stable, I use 1/2 cup of sweetex in place of 1/2 cup butter when making my SMBC. I find this way I can add a bit ore liquid because it provides extra stability. Thank goodness your customer was laid back! I'll bet it tasted good anyway!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 11

You can make a strawberry puree thicker if you reduce it befor using it. That will eliminate a lot of the slippery-ness problem but you'll still have the real strawberry flavor.

StormyHaze Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 4:29am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

You can make a strawberry puree thicker if you reduce it befor using it. That will eliminate a lot of the slippery-ness problem but you'll still have the real strawberry flavor.

Reduce it by how much??

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 5:13am
post #6 of 11

I use CK icing fruits and don't have a problem with it separating. They have raspberry, strawberry, lemon etc....their all very good icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 10:58am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyHaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Reduce it by how much??

I don't measure it, I just do it until it looks right. Just heat it on a low heat until it's thick and not juicy, more like a jam than a syrup.

StormyHaze Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 11:04pm
post #8 of 11

What do you guys think of using preserves in place of strawberry puree?

I mean, it is alot thicker and somehow often tastes more of the specified flavor than the actual fruit/berry.

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 1:30am
post #9 of 11

I use pureed fruit all the time in my imbc and have never had a problem. I probably use less thank 1/2 a cup though. I don't really measure it.

costumeczar Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 12:04pm
post #10 of 11

I use preserves a lot. I would ever use a straight puree, it would be too watery.

I think that the key to any of this is not putting a huge thick layer of anything gloppy on your cake. A thin layer of preserves is enough to give you the flavor and it won't make your cake slide around.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 1:03pm
post #11 of 11

You should reduce the fresh fruit so that it loses some of the liquid. I've used fruit purees without reducing, but there's a top amount you could add before it turns your smbc too watery.

How much did you add? One third of a cup is OK, but if you added more than a half cup, it will mess up your buttercream. That's why if you reduce it, you'll intensify the flavor in the little amount you'll get at the end.

I use preserves on IMBC. It's better.

You can also add some white chocolate, as in this recipe, to thicken everything up.

http://nyccakegirl.wordpress.com/2011/06/03/today-ron-has-allowed-me-to-share-a-few-recipes/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%