Preserving Edible Booties?

Decorating By loves2bake Updated 3 Oct 2011 , 2:57pm by DianeLM

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 2:08am
post #1 of 6

I made a baby shower cake with edible booties on top and the mom-to-be wants to preserve them for the baby's birthday. They aren't sure if they are going to eat them then (like wedding cake tradition) or if they want to preserve for the child's future eating. Can they Do this? Help/advice is very appreciated.
TIA

(Picture in my photos)

5 replies
Smore4us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smore4us Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 6

Very cute! Are they gumpaste? I'm pretty sure they will keep with no problem and could be used as a topper on a future cake, but I wouldn't think they'd want to eat them.

loves2bake Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 1:12am
post #3 of 6

They're mmf 50/50. I'm just wondering how long they'll keep without disintegrating. .

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 1:16am
post #4 of 6

If they're properly stored, they'll keep for the year. It's a great idea to keep them as a cake topper again. I would make sure it doesn't come in contact with icing though, just in case. I made a carnation in class last year and I stored it in a shoe box and kept it in my pantry and it kept until I finally threw it out earlier this summer. I wouldn't suggest they eat it though.

loves2bake Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBelle

If they're properly stored, they'll keep for the year. It's a great idea to keep them as a cake topper again. I would make sure it doesn't come in contact with icing though, just in case. I made a carnation in class last year and I stored it in a shoe box and kept it in my pantry and it kept until I finally threw it out earlier this summer. I wouldn't suggest they eat it though.

That's a wonderful idea! Why did you throw it out?
Thanks for the shoebox suggestion too icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 6

As long as they're stored in a breathable container at room temp and away from sunlight, they'll last for years. You wouldn't believe the ancient doodads I have all over my cake room. icon_smile.gif I tell my clients to store their keepsakes in an acrylic box, like the kind you'd keep a commemorative sports ball in.

I wouldn't recommend eating them. They'll be hard as a rock.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%