End Of Soccer Season Cake

Decorating By EricasCakeCreations Updated 8 Oct 2011 , 4:10pm by EricasCakeCreations

EricasCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricasCakeCreations Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 5:23am
post #1 of 14

I have a request to make a cake for a soccer team. It's their last year playing together, and the coach wants to give them something special, and came to me for the cake. It;s a girls soccer team, not sure of the age group yet. She wants the girls names incorperated into the cake (specifically asked for names made from fondant) and the logo, or the name of their team (not sure if they actually have a logo) The cake has to feed about 30 people.
I was thinking a sheet cake might be best, because it will feed 30 easily. But I'm stuck on how to decorate it.
I was also thinking maybe a 2 tier, covered in fondant. BUT the biggest round cake pan I have is 10", and I'm not sure how I would make it an amazing cake....
I'm at a loss of what to do for this request.
Any suggestions or thoughts would be great! Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

13 replies
EricasCakeCreations Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 14

icon_sad.gif

Nancy_TX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancy_TX Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 2:42am
post #3 of 14

I have a ton of soccer cakes on my website in the "Got Game?" Gallery. Do you have the Wilton sports ball pan? That on top of a 10" tier makes a really spectacular cake. You can put stars with the girls' names around the bottom tier. Or since it's fall, make a stump cake and write their names on the leaves. If you're set on a sheet cake, making half of the ball pan adds dimension to the cake.

Good luck!

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 3:13am
post #4 of 14

What about a carved soccer cleat on top of the 10in?

I've also seen some cake replicas of the trophy the players receive.

I agree the names around the base cake would look great!

EricasCakeCreations Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 4:05am
post #5 of 14

I like the idea of the ball on top of the 10", but would that be enough to feed 30 people?

Nancy_TX Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 4:13am
post #6 of 14

Easily - just the 2 layer 10" alone is enough for 30 servings. I have often used this combination (ball on a 2 layer 10") when I needed cake to feed 35, and had cake leftover.

Make sure you run a center dowel through the ball into the cake below. That ball cake actually will roll if you don't. (Not that I would know from personal experience or anything... icon_redface.gif )

EricasCakeCreations Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 4:35am
post #7 of 14

hah! That would be interesting! I've seen alot of pictures of half of a ball on a 10", or square. I think that might be easier. I don't have the ball cake pan, so now Im wondering if I could bake the cake in a bowl and kind of carve it into a half ball...hmmmm.... I'm brain storming here, watch out! :-p lmao

Nancy_TX, thank you soooooo much for your help! icon_biggrin.gif Your cakes and website are gorgeous, by the way!

Nancy_TX Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 1:28pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks and you're welcome!

Yes, if you're only doing a half ball, you can definitely use a bowl. Just make sure you use a firm cake - even a pound cake - or it will lose much of it's height. Also, you need a heat core (rose nail turned upside down) or the edges will be very crispy.

Good luck - I look forward to seeing how it turns out!

EricasCakeCreations Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 2:12pm
post #9 of 14

Yes! Pound cake is amazing to work with... except that it get's crispy. I made an Easter basket (I think I uploaded the picture here) and the only problem I had was that the edges were almost inedible... So, this heat core, do I just stick it right in the batter? And kind of let it cook into the cake?

Nancy_TX Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 2:41pm
post #10 of 14

Prepare the rose nail just like you do the pan - spray it with Pam or Baker's Joy, grease and flour it, whatever you do to your pans - then place it in the pan upside down before you pour in the batter and leave it there. Remove the nail when you remove the cake from the pan.

EricasCakeCreations Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 12:49am
post #11 of 14

That sounds simple enough!
Thank you sooo much for all the help! I will definitely let you know when I finish the cake and how it turns out.

EricasCakeCreations Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 4:14am
post #12 of 14

So after all the questions I had about making this cake, and all the work I started putting in, the customer cancelled... bummer.

Nancy_TX Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 1:35pm
post #13 of 14

Well, now you'll be prepared for the next time someone asks for a soccer cake!

Thanks for letting us know how it worked out.

EricasCakeCreations Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 4:10pm
post #14 of 14

Yes I will! Thanks, again for the help. I still want try a version of the cake, or practice a bit.
I think I lost the customer because of lack of experience. I started applying to places around me who are looking for cake decorators, I have to start somewhere!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%