Self Raising Flour Question

Baking By josefina20 Updated 3 Oct 2011 , 6:08am by josefina20

josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 7

I am trying to make my cake experiment a little bit faster using self raising flour, but i am wondering if it can be done without affecting the final result of the cake

Should i go step by step as the recipe call for?

Can i use self raising flour for any type of recipe? Why or Why no?

6 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 7

Sorry, hon, I don't quite understand what you mean about "faster." Self-rising flour is flour with leavener already mixed in. Some recipes specify self-rising flour - but on a practical time-saving level it only saves the baker one step, that of not measuring one ingredient.

Experienced bakers can take recipe shortcuts and experiment with ingredients. But for best results I suggest that most folks follow a recipe until they feel comfortable making changes.

josefina20 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 8:58am
post #3 of 7

what i said is, by using self raising flour I will eliminate some step, like measuring baking soda, salt, baking powder, flour and sifting them together. icon_smile.gif sorry i am lazy jajajja.

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 7

I've tried substituting self-rising flour for all the other steps. It doesn't work well. Some recipes call for more baking powder than what you get from the SR flour measurement. If you know the baking powder/salt ratio in the package that would help adjust your measurements but then you'd be adding an extra step to baking by adding more baking powder. I would stick to measuring out all the ingredients one by one! Then you'll know you're getting the exact amounts of everything you need!

josefina20 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 11:11pm
post #5 of 7

knlcox thanks so so much.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 1:47am
post #6 of 7

Cakes baked with self rising flour don't generally have the same texture as all purpose flour cakes. They tend to have softer crumb and fall apart easier and sometimes don't rise as well. Works great if you are doing a stay in the pan cake for the family to eat. Hope this helps.

josefina20 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 6:08am
post #7 of 7

cakelady2266 , you said it right, that is exactly what happened with a blueberry cake i made.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%