How To I Color Frosting Very Red?

Decorating By FondantDreams Updated 1 Oct 2011 , 2:48pm by tiggy2

FondantDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FondantDreams Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 13

Ok, I've tried and failed several times at getting a TRUE red frosting color. I've used the Wilton's Christmas Red and their Red Red and both using a tad bit of back and some burgundy in another, brown another time and all failed. In fact, I used an entire 1 oz. container of the Red Red and .5 oz of burgundy hoping to get red or something close and it made the frosting taste nasty! HELP! icon_cry.gif

TIA!!!!!

12 replies
aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 13

When I need to make a very vivid colored buttercream, I like to use powdered food colors.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 13

Americolor _Super Red.....I love it!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 13

use Super Red by Chefmaster. Works like a charm.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 13

You can also let the frosting sit overnight and the color will deepen a bit as well

FondantDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FondantDreams Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 13

Thank you everybody!

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 13

super red by americolor amazing stuff in a bottle!!!

EricasCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricasCakeCreations Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 4:46am
post #8 of 13

I've had the same problem with the wilton colors. The red red just seems to stay pink-ish, no matter how much color I put in. The wilton colors are starting to dissapoint me. I seem to only have luck with the blues, greens and pinks.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 5:15am
post #9 of 13

Americolor Red works great for my BC frosting, I just can't get a true red color with my fondant it always look like a deep salmon color.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 5:25am
post #10 of 13

For some reason, I love adding a tint of brown on my red. I agree, you will have to let it set to get the color richer. Also, Chef Rubber sells this paste color that is very concentrated. I've used it on black and I loved the results.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 5:44am
post #11 of 13

When I need a deeply colored icing... I use fondant. When you add tons of food coloring (as you much when coloring it deeply) it leaves a taste... even the no taste red and Americolor Super Red leave a flavor.

Out of all of the one's I've tried, I like the color of Americolor Super Red the best. It's a nice neutral, bordering on warm, red. Not too blue and not too yellow.

WAY back when I first started, I made a fire truck and iced it in red buttercream. Even with the Americolor Super Red, it took a LOT to get it that true red. It stained everything it touched too. Fondant will turn your teeth red too, but not as bad as red buttercream. And remember... what goes in... must come out. I warned the mom that the kids might have a bit of the technicolor poo... LOL.

ritterwoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ritterwoman Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 2:09pm
post #12 of 13

I know!!! I made a shower cake the other day and it was supposed to be the brown/red/orange burgandy color. Not the maroon burgandy or chocolate burgandy, but the tan/orange burgandy. I thought mixing christmas red with brown would do it, nope!!!. So I added some yellow to it, nope that made it more orange. So I added more red and some brown. It came out to be a cross between pumpkin and terracotta. I am all for the powdered colors. I never had a problem with them. Also, I had to make a red color for the cake as well, and again used the christmas red, it made it almost like a deep pink. Come on Wilton!!!!! icon_cry.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 2:48pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

use Super Red by Chefmaster. Works like a charm.

Ditto!! No need to let it set to intensify and no bad taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%