How To Attach A Dowel Rod To A Board?

Decorating By kristiemarie Updated 2 Nov 2011 , 9:32pm by maureen03

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 7

I am attempting to make a stand up ice cream cone cake. I need to make the center support dowel very secure onto the board so that my cake doesn't tip over. How do you get the dowel to stay? Screw into the bottom of the board into the bottom of the dowel? Drill a hole big enough for the dowel to go half way through the board and glue it in?

I am going to make this cake about 2 feet tall so I need some good support.

I read somewhere that someone had posted a tut on building the support...anyone know where I can find it?

6 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 7

I would use a metal flange screwed into a heavy board with a metal pipe screwed into the flange (clean very well before using - that metal is coated with yukky stuff). Cover the metal with press and seal or plastic wrap if you feel the need. Or use threaded rod instead of pipe - you can twist nuts and big washers down to wherever you need for support between tiers. Why do I always spell tiers wrong icon_confused.gif ?!? Thank goodness for spell check.....

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 12:49am
post #3 of 7

I take a large dowel and drill a small hole in the bottom. I find where I plan on placing the cake on the board and poke a hole. I use a screw and a washer on the underside of the board coming through to the top and attach the dowel. I used the for a 3 D dog cake which was approx. 2 ft tall and the Cookie Monster cake in my photos. Traveled well and had no problems with the cake shifting or falling apart.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 12:59am
post #4 of 7

You'll have to countersink the screw and washer so the board will sit flat.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 7

Sweettreat, that sounds like something I can do! And thanks cheatize, for the reminder that I'll have to do that! I'd probably have forgotten and got frustrated!!!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 7

If you tighten the screw enough it counter sinks itself. I have never had a problem with the cake board not sitting flat.

maureen03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maureen03 Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

I take a large dowel and drill a small hole in the bottom. I find where I plan on placing the cake on the board and poke a hole. I use a screw and a washer on the underside of the board coming through to the top and attach the dowel. I used the for a 3 D dog cake which was approx. 2 ft tall and the Cookie Monster cake in my photos. Traveled well and had no problems with the cake shifting or falling apart.

sweettreat101, what size (diameter) dowel do you use. I am planning on making a tall cake as well. Would a 1/2 inch wood cake board and a 1/2 inch wooden dowel rod be good? I'm afraid that the dowel rod that's only 1/2 inch might break once I try to screw it to the base. Do you use a wider dowel rod? I hope my question makes senses. It's my first time doing this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%