Urgent!! Please Help!! Stacking Sheet Cake

Decorating By anmayer80 Updated 30 Sep 2011 , 5:11pm by Apti

anmayer80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anmayer80 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 9:21am
post #1 of 14

Sadly it is 5:16 am and I still have not made it to bed. I have a cake order for Saturday morning, an 11x15 double stacked sheet cake. When Stacking the cakes the top layer cracked. I tried "glueing" it together with buttercream, thinking after frosting it, it would be ok. NO GO! I have to re-make this entire cake when I wake up in a few hours. Any suggestions for stacking these? I have never stacked such a big cake and I don't want to go through this twice! I was thinking maybe cutting the top cake vertically and then placing the two halves on top to make it easier to work with?? or should i just put the two cakes side by side? The customer has no preference, just need 2 for serving purposes. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks! icon_sad.gif

13 replies
cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 9:30am
post #2 of 14

I found a long cutting board that I use. Looks like one of those long spatulas that people use to take pizza out of ovens. Before I found this I slid the cake layer on an upside down cookie sheet greased with PAM. I've had them break too and it may be easier to cut the layer into 2 pieces that are more manageable. Good luck!

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 9:50am
post #3 of 14

I freeze the one thats going on top. Then I can set it right where I need it and it wont bend.

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 10:43am
post #4 of 14

I use a sheetcake sized cakeboard dusted with PS or CS and slide it on top of the other.

HTH

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 11:01am
post #5 of 14

I also freeze the cake making it much more easier to handle.

anmayer80 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 14

i thought that freezing would be good too, but my freezer isn't big enough to fit this cake in!

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 14

If you can't freeze then go with the cake board/ cutting board...that is what I do as well and it works like a charm.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 14

I use one of the Wilton 14x20" cookie sheets with a lip on one side. It works great for lifting and transferring large cakes. I've also seen people cut the top in two pieces so it's easier to transfer them, then use cake spackle to "glue" them together before finishing the final icing. Cake spackle is equal parts of cake crumbs and buttercream (like the inside of a cake pop).

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingatthebeach

I freeze the one thats going on top. Then I can set it right where I need it and it wont bend.

Why is it that the most logical solutions are the ones I never think of!

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:23pm
post #10 of 14

anmayer80... this is what I did. I also did not have any problem with the bottom layer, but when I came to put the second layer, I did not know what to do! so I remember reading here on CC (thank God for CC!!!) that I could cut it in half and afterwards place it on top of the first layer, I had tried the lg wilton cookie sheet, it was a not go, because the cake would not slide out of it...so I cut in half. No one will notice it. You can see the cake in the following link

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1887337

Good luck, thumbs_up.gif
CIAO

faithc24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faithc24 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:35pm
post #11 of 14

I use foamcore board. Same thing I use for most of my cake boards. (I call them my "flip boards") Once I have my cake "flipped" once out the pan then back again to level off the top if needed I put powdered sugar on the board, flip the cake back again to the board covered in powder sugar and that way I can put the edge where I need it on top of my first cake and "shimmy" the 2nd cake onto it. It usually slides good because of the powdered sugar, just have to make sure you don't lift up on the board because you'll crack your cake there too.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:41pm
post #12 of 14

I bake bigger cakes on parchment paper in the pan, I leave it on the bottom until it's flipped onto the top and then peel it off. Really helps hold the cake together.

anmayer80 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 5:10pm
post #13 of 14

Thank you so much for all of your advice ladies! @Soledad... thank you for the picture, that is what I was thinking of doing, I'm glad to see that someone else has done it with success! The idea of leaving the wax paper on until after stacking the top layer also makes a lot of sense. Thanks again everyone! First cake is cooling, wish me luck icon_biggrin.gif

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 5:11pm
post #14 of 14

I like the powdered sugar idea. That's great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%