The Nasty "food Color Taste"

Decorating By TexasCakes77 Updated 29 Sep 2011 , 3:58pm by Dizzymaiden

TexasCakes77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasCakes77 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know of any good food coloring brands that the hot pink and black don't make the entire cake taste bitter? It just ruins frosting. I HATE when people ask for black or hot pink cakes b/c then I have to warn them about the bitter "red dye' taste. I asked someone in a local cake supply store and she said she knew of none that didn't have that taste.

If not, how does everyone deal with it and do you discourage black and dark pink designs b/c of it?

6 replies
seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 7

I swear by CK (Country Kitchen) black. I make my own balck MMF and sometimes a batch will take a whole small bottle of the coloring. No problem with the taste.

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 7

i dont get the black taste with americolor but maybe that cause I dont have to use as much?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 7

Chefmastetr liqua gel color is very concentrated so you use very little and there is no bitter taste. You also get very vibrant colors instantly with no waiting over night for it to intensify.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 7

We use powdered food coloring, a little goes a long way so there's no taste change.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 7

I also use Americolor & literally don't taste anything! I did black & gold last week & the host loved them no complains what so ever

HTH

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 7

this happen to me with Duff's hot pink...icko!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%