Molding Material Needed In A Pinch

Decorating By aprilismaius Updated 29 Sep 2011 , 3:50pm by Kmm0880

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 6

I have a NASCAR type cake to do for Saturday, and originally my plan was to carve the car from cake. But I just watched a video with Susan Carberry and she molded a little car from coating chocolate with a candy mold and covered it in fondant. I love how quick and easy that seems. I was thinking about picking up a NASCAR toy car, making a mold from it, and then using the coating chocolate to make the model. Does anyone have ideas on what I can use for molding material for something like this in a pinch? I obviously don't have time to order any silicone plastique or anything from Make Your Own molds with it being due in two days. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

5 replies
jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 6

Tami utley uses a molding stuff available at Hobby Lobby. I do not remember the name of it, but she says it is fast and easy. You might check in Hobby Lobby and see what kind of Mold making material is there. I know she said it was food safe.

aprilismaius Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks! I will stop by our local Hobby Lobby at lunch and see what I can find.

Kmm0880 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kmm0880 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 6

It is called amazing mold putty...found it at Michaels. Have not seen it at AC Moore though. It's about $20.00, but bring a coupon. The stuff is great, I made some sea shell molds and they were prefect! It dries in about 15 minutes! Good luck icon_lol.gif

aprilismaius Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 6

@Kmm0880 thank you for the product name. That will help tremendously.

Kmm0880 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kmm0880 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 6

Your welcome! I also googled it to see what the box looked like, so i knew what I was looking for. My first trip, I could not find it and the "workers" had no clue what I was talking about icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%