Sugarshack Buttercream Ques.

Baking By KMKakes Updated 3 Oct 2011 , 4:19am by KMKakes

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 3

Has anyone tried the sugarshack buttercream recipe without the hi-ratio shortening per say Walmart brand or any other brand of shortening? I realize that the results will be altered but I wonder how does it hold up to crusting and smoothing if someone has used that type of recipe?

2 replies
Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 3

Over on the Wilton Recipe Forum, a great contributor Bunnywoman has posted her "Mock Shack Buttercream Recipe." She and Sharon Zambito (aka Sugarshack) are friends, and Bunnywoman modified Sharon's HRS BC recipe a bit, thus the name Mock Shack.

It uses 1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening (Crisco, 3 g. transfat, or HRS), flavorings, warm water mixed with powdered creamer, popcorn salt, and PS. It's very tasty and performs well. Crusts, easy to decorate with, and has the added taste benefit of the butter. Here is the link for her recipe http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=135663&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=.

If I'm making a cake for personal consumption, I will use this recipe as I like having butter in my BC. If I'm selling a cake, then I use 100% HRS, since it is less expensive than butter.

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 4:19am
post #3 of 3

thanks for the informative link!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%