Need Advice On Flowers I Made... Give Your Opinion!

Decorating By MommieK Updated 4 Oct 2011 , 1:28am by MommieK

MommieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommieK Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 1:27am
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone, I'm making a cake for this weekend. I was inspired by apieceofcake-dolores Fall wedding cake to try some ribbon roses. I have three versions and I'm looking for some opinions on which one is the best. Can you give me your opinion? Thanks!!!

Oh, you can find the picture in my file of cakes. I know it won't allow us to paste links here.

8 replies
lschmitz05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lschmitz05 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 1:41am
post #2 of 9

I like number 1 best! Good Job

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 1:51am
post #3 of 9

I like #1. I like that they have centers. Good luck. I make my roses with tootsie rolls! You can see them in my gallery. You can use the same wrap technique with gum paste or fondant I'm sure! Or vanilla tootsie rolls for white.

midlight21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midlight21 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 4:55am
post #4 of 9

#1 icon_biggrin.gif

Angelfoodcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfoodcake Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 5:17am
post #5 of 9

Number one thumbs_up.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 5:17am
post #6 of 9

These are more like carnations than roses...ribbon roses are strips that have been folded in half and then rolled up and fluffed open a bit to give it a more rose-y look. What you have looks great! They're just not roses. Number 3 is closest to a rose shape, but number 1 is really nice...but like I said, I think it looks more like a carnation.

I've done ribbon roses on a few cakes...most notably the smashed wedding cake in my photos. (sigh) I also have them on the leopard print cake and on my Indian bowl cake (they're gold). I did a google search to find out the various ways to do them...but they're all basically rolled strips or squares.

Stacey75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacey75 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 5:33am
post #7 of 9

MommieK Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 1:04pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think #1 is the winner. It is actually made the same way that ribbon roses are, just a single strip instead of doubled over. I was just experimenting, sorry for attaching an incorrect name to them. icon_surprised.gif

My family also chose #1. Now just the task of making about 50 of them for my cake. Thanks again! You guys are great thumbs_up.gif

MommieK Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:28am
post #9 of 9

Finished the cake, now in my profile pictures if you are curious. Thanks again. I think the "ribbon roses" turned out quite well. My only regret is that I didn't have enough time to set it up and didn't use enough flowers. Wish I had used a few more to fill in open spaces. Anyway, thanks again for all the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%