Fondant Letters

Decorating By mommy42cuties Updated 2 Oct 2011 , 1:50am by noahsmummy

mommy42cuties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy42cuties Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 14

Hello - Ive tried making letters out of fondant before to put on a cake. And they always work against the cake, but this client is wanting them to come out of the cake. So, for example on a stick! I tried last week a dry run making a letter rolled out of fondant and it wouldnt get hard enough to stand up on the top of a cake. What do I need to use? I've never worked with gumpaste, but I will use anything to get this kids name on the side of the cake!!!

Thanks for your help!!!!

13 replies
The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 14

You need to use gum paste and then it will work perfectly. The letters will dry hard. You need to do them in advance though and let them dry for about a week or so. Good Luck!

peggylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peggylicious Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 14

You can also use a 50/50 mixture of fondant and gumpaste. Modelling chocolate also works too icon_smile.gif

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 14

You can also add 1 tsp tylose powder to 1 lb of fondant.

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 14

We use the tylose powder to Wilton fondant. Sometimes we make it a little heavier than 1 tsp per pound. It seems to keep it's color better than gumpaste. Give it time to dry (after you put the sticks in! icon_smile.gif ) We don't use the chocolate fondant or other fondants like Satin Ice for it because they don't seem to dry as fast as Wilton's. We use the others for covering cakes because they taste better.

mommy42cuties Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 14

Does it really take a week for them to dry? They need this cake Sunday...If I make them tonight or tomorrow night would they be dry in time? OMG! What should I do?!?!

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 14

If you use the Wilton gumpaste, it'll be pretty dry by the next day. Two days, it'll be very dry. Plus, you can just go pick it up at your local JoAnn's, Michales, or Roberts. I suggest using the premade one, if you're not use to making it yourself. It's doesn't taste very good, but hopefully they won't be eating the topper. =)

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 14

I did the 'P' on this cake out of Wilton's pre-made gum paste.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2164320

Roll it thin. It will start to dry almost immediately. You will need at least a day to let it really harden--though it may not be completely dry, it should probably be stiff enough to stand up. You can put in the oven on parchment paper and just have your oven light on and that will help dry it too.
I used a plastic clear food skewer for appetizers for the 'stick'. I would normally use something like royal icing to attach it, but I knew this cake was going to travel so I hot glued it on...and I made sure the stick was attached to a lot of the letter...that is, it went up the back quite a ways...not just at the bottom. I wanted it to be more secure. I knew the cake was just going to be viewed from the front primarily.

good luck!

JoanieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanieB Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 14

Another poster mentioned using gumpaste....Yes Yes Yes. And just buy the premade stuff if you're short on time. But mine gumpaste figures are dry the next day. Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

mommy42cuties Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 14

Perfect!!! Thanks for all your help!!!!!!! icon_smile.gif

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 9:54pm
post #11 of 14

I let mine dry for 2 days just to make sure. I don't have that cake posted yet. It was a 40th birthday cake for a lady that her daughter designed and asked me to make. It was fun! I'll try to post it so you can see it.

CupcakeMoma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeMoma Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 1:23am
post #12 of 14

I made a monogram out of Wiltons gum paste, hadnt used gum paste before. It worked well, but you have to work quick with it!

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 1:41am
post #13 of 14

Alternatively, you could make it out of chocolate candy melts. They come in tons of colors and would be edible, whereas gumpaste isn't.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 1:50am
post #14 of 14

if your short on time to get it to dry, or even if the weather is humid, put it in the oven overnight with JUST the light on.. make sure the oven is COLD! when you do this though. Works a charm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%