Covering Cake Boards

Decorating By Britterfly Updated 28 Sep 2011 , 2:18pm by luddroth

Britterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britterfly Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 6

What does everyone cover their cake circles/boards with?

I've been using foil & fondant, but I've seen several people use colored paper (I guess it's paper). Is it Christmas wrapping paper? Or something else?

Also, how do you get a ribbon around the edge of the boards? Do you just wrap it around the board then tape or glue the ends together in the back?

5 replies
aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 6

Hi Britterfly, I haven't used the paper, but I think the folks who do use scrapbooking or wrapping paper then cover with contact paper. I personally use hot glue on the edges of my board when attaching ribbon. Good luck!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 6

I use fondant - the same as i cover my cakes..... i do this at least a day before i cover my cakes so as it dries firm and hard - that way when i place my cake on it there will be no movement or rippling.

As for attaching the ribbon - i dip the entire length in my sugar glue - run my fingers along it to get rid of the excess -then carefully place around the fondant covered board.

As it dries it adheres due to the sugar glue ... perfect. thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 6

I cover my boars in various papers and them cover with FDA approved cello. You can find the FDA cello on a roll at Michael's in their gift basket stuff.

I also cover in fondant depending on the board.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

I cover my boars in various papers and them cover with FDA approved cello. You can find the FDA cello on a roll at Michael's in their gift basket stuff.

Yes probably best to make sure you pigs are covered with food safe materials icon_smile.gif

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 6

Most of the cake supply web sites have FDA food safe foils available in various colors and patterns. Other foils can be used if the cake is sitting on a cardboard or the foil is covered in FDA approved cellophane.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%