Street Fair Advice

Baking By socosweets Updated 2 Oct 2011 , 11:21am by socosweets

socosweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
socosweets Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all
I have recently started making cupcakes and cakes and our town is having a street fair in November and I want to take advantage of the great way to advertise since this is a small town. I was wondering how I would have my cupcakes out for the people to buy. Do I just have them arranged on the table cloth or should I have them in my cupcake carriers? Should I buy individual cupcake plastic containers? I dont want to spend alot of money on packaging if the people are just going to buy the cupcakes and then eat them on the spot. Also what would be a good price to sell the cupcakes for? I plan on offering a classic flavor and then doing 2 of my specialty flavors. Im also going to be doing cakepops as well. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

4 replies
vgray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgray Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 1:32am
post #2 of 5

I would have some cupcakes in containers to keep them safe from outside elements and have a few on the table so the people can see what you are selling. As far a cheap packing, I get a big bag of dixie cups and a roll of paper towels. Put the cupcake in the center of the paper towel then bring the corners up together (so the cupcake is in the paper towel) then drop it in the cup. This way it is cheap and easy to carry and the people have a napkin just in case icon_wink.gif I charge what you normally would in you shop. If you want, give a small discount, but be sure you are not just giving the cupcakes away.

socosweets Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you for the advice!

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 10:23am
post #4 of 5

I ask the customer if they want them in a container, or just a napkin.
some want to take them home. Bigger sales. I use stryofoam containers from Gordons Food Service. Rather cheap. and easier to carry. My frosting is soft and the cup/napkin method wouldn't work for me. If it works, use it.
As far as the pop cakes go, I used cans filled with beans and stuck the sticks in there. Worked, but the beans spilled in the car after the show. What a mess! LOL

socosweets Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 11:21am
post #5 of 5

Im going to pick up some more of the boxes that hold 4 cupcakes because I figured if theres going to be families there and alot of families have 2-3 kids they might just go for the box of 4 especially if I do some sort of deal if they buy 4 instead of just a single cupcake. Thanks for the tip about the beans when I make cakepop bouquets I use the floral foam but its so messy when you are trying to cut it to the right size.

Thanks for the helpful tips!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%