Gumpaste

Decorating By jenabbott00 Updated 27 Sep 2011 , 8:31pm by Price

jenabbott00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenabbott00 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make a little baby with my first impressions mold. It says to use gum paste. I have never made it before and so I bought the wilton gum paste mix. It just seems to be all crumbly. I kneaded it the best I could and have it wrapped up to rest for the 15 mins. Does anyone have a better recipe or way of making this little baby?

4 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 5

Your gumpaste is probably too dry, but give it a few more hours to ripen before adding anything else to it. It's not something you can use right after you make it. If it's still too crumbly after 8-10 hours, add a little more water, but only a few drops at a time, because you'll ruin the whole batch if you put too much in. Knead it really well between adding the water.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 5

I used fondant with a little tylose powder kneaded in and it work perfectly in the mold.

jenabbott00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenabbott00 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 5

I seems to be doing better now that it's been sitting for a while. It's not crumbling anymore but it doesn't want to roll into a smooth ball. The creases are rolling out.

Price~ How much Tylose do you add to your fondant?

I need to figure out how do put a bee costume on it after I get a few made and dried out. icon_smile.gif I just love this mold. It's gonna make a great baby shower cake.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 5

I normally add about 1/2 tsp. tylose powder to 1/2 lb fondant. Knead the tylose powder in well. A bee costume should really be cute. I hope you post a picture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%