Quilling

Decorating By vincytoo Updated 27 Sep 2011 , 1:34am by Gerle

vincytoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vincytoo Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 8

Good Day,
I've seen some lovely cakes decorated using the quilling technique. I've done it using paper but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do it for a cake.

Please Help!!!

Jacqui

7 replies
BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 8

hi, roll your gumpaste out, thin, not too thin, cut it the size you want and roll it just like for quilling if it doesn't adhere to itself, put a little gumpaste glue to hold it works great.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 8

Funny you should ask because I just posted one! I had never done quilling before so I got a pamphlet that had various techniques with paper and how to do them and I just applied that to fondant and gum paste! My cake doesn't show all the flowers and leaves I did because ...well my comments explain it.
First of all you will need a clay extruder to get the most even ropes and strips to work with. I've read where some people use a garlic mincer (?)to produce a lot of flat strips. You can get them at Target but I didn't have one so I used my extruder.

Then just start rolling like you do paper...only you'll need to keep separating the pieces because it's fondant and not paper and they stick a little. Just play around with it. I really want to do more quilled flowers because I think the more I do the better I will get. It's fun!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 8

Roll your gum paste very thin--see thru. Cut strips to the width & length you prefer. Take a quilling tool and spread the two tines enough to slip a piece of the gum paste into it. If you quill using a needle tool, do that as usual with the gum paste.

Roll the quills the same way you always do. Use a needle to tease the quill out to the size you desire. Pinch & shape. Allow shapes to dry. Use a strong gum glue, melted chocolate, or royal icing to assemble shapes.

HTH
Rae

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 8

Blakescakes:
These are so awesome! I had difficulty applying the strips I did similar to this to the side of my cake--so I ended up using ropes instead of the strip look. How do you get it to adhere without icing bleeding through all the thin strips? I'm afraid they will fall off. Usually I use a generous dab of buttercream to secure items to the sides of my cake. Or do you use this technique primarily for sheet cakes or flat surfaces?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Blakescakes:
How do you get it to adhere without icing bleeding through all the thin strips? I'm afraid they will fall off. Usually I use a generous dab of buttercream to secure items to the sides of my cake. Or do you use this technique primarily for sheet cakes or flat surfaces?

I haven't done it on a BC cake, only fondant. I use dabs of gum glue to adhere them on the fondant.

Being thin, you're right, BC can break them down or make them look spotty w/ grease. I'd apply them as late as possible, perhaps using some royal icing as glue. With the grease, the royal won't necessarily harden, but it'll stay sticky. Piping gel or corn syrup could also allow for enough tackiness for them to stick.

Rae

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 12:08am
post #7 of 8

love the technique on blakescake

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 1:34am
post #8 of 8

I agree. BlakesCake's design is awesome!!! I really love it. I, too, would like to try the quilling technique. It looks so unique and pretty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%