Pop Out Effect

Decorating By lili8 Updated 26 Sep 2011 , 12:36pm by Karen421

lili8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lili8 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:16am
post #1 of 11

Hi I need help to create the "popping out effect" I am making a champagne bottle cake and wanted to make the bottle appear to be popping out. I have seen some designs on here but cannot figure out how it is done! Any advice would be great!!!
Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
cakesbykaty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykaty Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:40am
post #2 of 11

Hi, I don't know if this is what you mean exactly or not, but I made a cake with a Scooby head "popping out" of the top of the cake. The client just wanted a plain old 2d Scooby head, so it was a little easier. I just set Scooby up in the cake, then used the same color fondant as I had wrapped the layer with and cut out long skinny triangles. For effect I used the color I had wrapped the other layer in as inner triangles. I made the 2nd color triangles smaller, and stuck them to the big ones, then stuck the 2nd color side of the triangle closest to the base of Scooby and just sort of curled the triangles back Using the 2 colors allowed a lot of forgiveness, and made it look like the cake had been "lined" in another color. Does this help at all? I don't think I am doing a good job explaining myself. If you check my pictures you should see the Scooby cake, it's pretty recent. That may not even be what you are talking about!!

lili8 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:43am
post #3 of 11

Yes that is exactly what I was talking about! Some cakes look like they are so real! I am going to try the triangle trick and see how that works! Thank you!!!! thumbs_up.gif

cakesbykaty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykaty Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:46am
post #4 of 11

Ok, I am glad that made sense!! Sometimes I am not very good at explaining what I've done. icon_razz.gif I can't wait to see your cake!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:47am
post #5 of 11

Hi lili8

It's really easy to do. (Hope I can explain it though LOL!!)

I put 3 layers of fondant on the top of the cake.
If you want 2 different colors: Cover the top of your cake with fondant (I use the color of the entire cake. Then cover the top of your cake in one color. Then cover the entire cake in the other color. With a sharp knife cut an X through the top 2 layers of fondant and pull the triangles backwards so they curl. (I curl them around plastic dowels until they dry)

Hope you can understand that! icon_biggrin.gif

Karen421 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:48am
post #6 of 11

Sorry it double posted again! icon_biggrin.gif

lili8 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:53am
post #7 of 11

Wow thank you both so much! I am still pretty new to the cake thing and it is amazing that we are all willing to help each other out! Thank you again and I will post the cake when finished! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

SweetDreams_DK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams_DK Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:59am
post #8 of 11

Hi,
Here's a picture of one of the cakes we made in Mike McCarey's modeling chocolate class: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1858398

The cake is covered in fondant, the decorations are all make with modeling chocolate. We rolled out 2 colors of modeling chocolate fairly thin, then sandwiched them together (just lightly wet them like you would with fondant to stick them together). Then we cut out the shap in the center, stuck it on the top of the cake, curled the edges up from the center, and put the dragon into the center. The modeling chocolate will stand up on it's own as it cools.

Does that help? I can scan and send you a template that he gave us for cutting it out if you'd like. Just send me a PM.

athenarose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
athenarose Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 7:24am
post #9 of 11

This is a great technique, it's super easy to do, I think this is kind of what Karen was talking about, I have one I did with Elmo on it, been trying to upload it for weeks now, let me try again and you can see my version of it in my photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mka900/3395760669/

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 7:31am
post #10 of 11

Athenrose thankyou for sharing....I always wanted to try this technique! icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 12:36pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athenarose

This is a great technique, it's super easy to do, I think this is kind of what Karen was talking about, I have one I did with Elmo on it, been trying to upload it for weeks now, let me try again and you can see my version of it in my photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mka900/3395760669/

Yes!!!! That's exactly what I was talking about! And now it makes sense - Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%