Covering A Cake In Fondant

Decorating By poshtart Updated 26 Sep 2011 , 1:15pm by Marianna46

poshtart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshtart Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 4

Hi
Can any one tell me the best way to cover a 12" round by 10" high cake in fondant please
Thank you Julie icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 4

I would cover the sides of the cake with one long strip of 10" wide fondant and cut a 12" circle for the top of the cake. You could hide the seam with a border decortation where they meet.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 1:43am
post #3 of 4

What I do when I need to cover a large cake is measure the top and sides to make sure you have a large enough piece of rolled out fondant. I take a large piece of cardboard and cover it with freezer paper. Dust the board well gently lift up the side of the fondant that has been rolled out and slide the board underneath. Position the board over the cake and slide the fondant into place. If I can I try to use my Sweetwise mat but in cases where the cake is to big this is what I do.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 4

But the problem with this cake is that it's 10" tall. I don't see how you can cover a cake that tall using a single piece of fondant without it wrinkling at the bottom. Of course, that could just be because I lack the talent to do it - LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%