How Do I Do A Diamond Pattern On Fondant Cake?

Decorating By TickleMySweetTooth Updated 26 Sep 2011 , 6:28pm by Torimomma

TickleMySweetTooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickleMySweetTooth Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 9

I'm a very visual person .. I am looking for a video or picture tutorial on how to do a diamond(quilted?) pattern on a fondant cake.. I think my boss called it diamond draggies(sp??) I know I can ask her.. but feel better to learn on my own first and ask for help if I really need it. Anyone know of one?
I googled and then searched youtube video but could not find what I was looking for.
Any help MUCH appreciated!!
Thanks!

8 replies
Torimomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torimomma Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 9

Do you mean diamond pattern with dragees? Try to do a search for quilting and you should find something. There is a mat you can buy that is supposed to make it easy.
I don't have one so I used my cake separator to make dots at intervals around my cake and then used a ruler to draw a diagonal line from the top of one to the bottom of another one. You will get a smaller pattern if you skip a mark. For example, if you have 10 lines around, go from the bottom one to the third one on the top, all the way around. Then do it in the opposite direction to intersect the lines.
If you look at the cake in my gallery with the tiara on top you'll see what I mean. I was only able to get one intersection because I only staggered my line by 1. Place a dragee or sugar pearl at the intersection of the lines. Easier than I'm making it sound!

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 9

I used a diamond shaped cookie cutter to make the impressions. I don't know of a tutorial off hand, but the cookie cutter method is super easy.

HTH

Kat

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 9

There's an EXCELLENT explanation and visuals on this thread by CC member artscallion that should help: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-679490-diamond.html

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 9

On b/c cakes, i use the impression mat. On fondant cakes , i use the 3 diamond g/p cutter. The tutorial the op posted is great also. The 3 diamond g/p cutter is faster. You press it in the fondant lightly , rock it a little , and go to the next one., etc.,etc.

TickleMySweetTooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickleMySweetTooth Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks all! And Thanks flourpots! I will try cutting one of those right angle triangles today. I will have to find a VERY pliable cardboard so I can use on round cakes. Do I need to make different sizes for different size cakes? Or does having 1 in a lager size like shown in the picture work for ALL sizes? I was thinking too.. I think my boss does it with a ruler.. this seems like an easier way for me, at least learning. Thanks again!!

SparkleKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SparkleKat Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 9

Since I am only a hobby baker I don't have a lot of tools to use for different techniques. Therefore I used a wooden ruler and a wilton wheel to trace the lines on my cake. I found that once you got the first line marked, then the other parallel lines followed in a row. Finally I went over the lines again to make the impression more noticeable and placed the dragees where they intersected. I hope that helps.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1776655

SparkleKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SparkleKat Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 9

Since I am only a hobby baker I don't have a lot of tools to use for different techniques. Therefore I used a wooden ruler and a wilton wheel to trace the lines on my cake. I found that once you got the first line marked, then the other parallel lines followed in a row. Finally I went over the lines again to make the impression more noticeable and placed the dragees where they intersected. I hope that helps.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1776655

Torimomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torimomma Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 6:28pm
post #9 of 9

Artscallion's graphic tutorial is great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%