What Kind Of Icing Should I Use?

Baking By Gkneez Updated 26 Sep 2011 , 5:52am by Bootycat

Gkneez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gkneez Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I'm a newbie and I am trying to determine which icing is the best for me. I tried buttercream but I hated that if you touch it it dents through the crust. Even after 24 hours. I liked the corn syrup icing but details are difficult. I want to try royal next but I already know I hate the taste. What are the pro's and cons and which is the best for a newbie?

4 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 5

It all depends on what you're doing. Glaze or royal icing are fine for icing cookies. For a cake, buttercream (there are several different kinds, and not all of them crust) or ganache make good coverings. If you're going to cover the cake in fondant or candy clay, you need to use one or the other of these under it. Royal icing will get too hard as a frosting. It's meant for other things, like piping flowers and certain designs. Glaze doesn't lend itself to the thickness of icing you want on a cake, at least not on one that you would be putting decorations on. Look of the recipes for Swiss Meringue Butter Cream (SMBC) and Italian Meringue Butter Cream (IMBC), if you're not happy with the crusting kind.

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 12:27am
post #3 of 5

Buttercream's great; you just have to make sure you don't touch it! icon_smile.gif I'm not a fondant girl myself, but I think it would hold up to accidentally hitting it better. And you can always patch things up with a decoration! icon_smile.gif

Bootycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bootycat Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 5:50am
post #4 of 5

I use the Royal Icing recipe that comes with Wilton Meringue Powder. It tates really good. I put everying in my Kitchen Aid mixer and mix on STIR for 10 minutes.

To get the peferct consistency, I measure out 1/2 cup in a bowl. Next, add 2 teaspoons of light corn syrup and 1/2 tsp of water. Next, add your color. This is to OUTLINE.

Flooding, I add 1/ 2 teaspoon more of water. Next, pour in squeeze bottle. And, you are ready to flood. I like using a small silicone spatula to mix my icing in bowl I do this every time i make a color, and it is perfect. Also, i like using a small 2 cup glass pyrex bowls with lid. If you have icing left over, just pop top on and sit on counter. I always put date on icing, to make sure it stays fresh. It will stay fresh for 2 weeks.

With the help of my mentor, viedos and practice, I taught myself. Now, i love being crearive. Don't give up. Keep trying and you will get it.

Bootycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bootycat Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 5:52am
post #5 of 5

If you are icing cookies, I use the Royal Icing recipe that comes with Wilton Meringue Powder. It tates really good. I put everying in my Kitchen Aid mixer and mix on STIR for 10 minutes.

To get the peferct consistency, I measure out 1/2 cup in a bowl. Next, add 2 teaspoons of light corn syrup and 1/2 tsp of water. Next, add your color. This is to OUTLINE.

Flooding, I add 1/ 2 teaspoon more of water. Next, pour in squeeze bottle. And, you are ready to flood. I like using a small silicone spatula to mix my icing in bowl I do this every time i make a color, and it is perfect. Also, i like using a small 2 cup glass pyrex bowls with lid. If you have icing left over, just pop top on and sit on counter. I always put date on icing, to make sure it stays fresh. It will stay fresh for 2 weeks.

With the help of my mentor, viedos and practice, I taught myself. Now, i love being crearive. Don't give up. Keep trying and you will get it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%