Buttercream Take Tooks Like Old Womans Skin?

Decorating By debgolden Updated 26 Sep 2011 , 11:43am by debgolden

debgolden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debgolden Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 7

I have been having a problem with my buttercream lately. I frost the cakes and smooth them and they look great. But as they sit they take on the texture of wrinkles ( like an old womans skin) and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong? Any suggestions would be great. TIA!

6 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 7

It's probably because your board isn't stiff enough. If you used cake drums or several layers of corrugated cardboard, the icing wouldn't crackle as the cake is handled.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 12:41am
post #3 of 7

Can you post a picture? It would help figure out the problem. Either it's cracking like Unlimited mentioned or it's sliding down the cake for some reason.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 1:00am
post #4 of 7

It could definitely be the board, needs to be supported really well. Also, years ago when I use to use smooth my cakes with hot knife and water, I would go over it so many times, it would get all wrinkled looking, I think I got too much water on the cake and the frosting would break down, could that be the problem?

debgolden Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 11:32am
post #5 of 7

I use the paper towel method to smooth my b/c, so there is no excess water on the frosting. Will try to post picture.

debgolden Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 11:37am
post #6 of 7

Ok for some reason the picture didn't load as an attachment to my last post. I can't figure out why. I will try again.
As for the support I have 3-4 boards taped together with the strength lines alternating to make them stronger.
I think the problem may be the frosting sliding down the cake?
The strange this is, it does it on some cakes and not on others?

debgolden Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 11:43am
post #7 of 7

Ok for some reason it won't let me post the picture here but I did get it up loaded into my gallery

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%