Skyscraper Cake Idea And Luster Dust Question

Decorating By ivanabacowboy Updated 13 Sep 2005 , 11:27pm by Fishercakes

ivanabacowboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivanabacowboy Posted 10 Sep 2005 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 8

I work in a bank. We are financing 61 stories worth of luxury condominium in Chicago. Picture here: http://www.onemuseumpark.com/home.html

This will be the largest project we have done to date so I would like to do a cake for the office to celebrate when we close on the deal. No way in heck could I do a cake 61 stories tall lol! Far too detailed for me as a novice to even attempt in BCT.

So I was thinking just to do a plain white iced cake with the logo in center (the little black blurb in the middle top of that page I linked). THAT I am pretty sure I can handle. And with the plain white background the black and gold would "pop".

What are my best options to do the logo? Royal or Colorflow? I could do the gold with luster dust. And blow up the logo to reproduce a pattern a bit larger so thats ok. But what would I do with the rest of the cake is my question.

I was thinking a simple rope or shell border in that same black and gold piped in Royal. As this is a high end luxury condo project, I am thinking that mite be the way to go. Simple yet elegant. Then brush the gold parts of the rope/shells with luster dust.

Or is my only hope of "gold" using fondant (which I would prefer to avoid as I also want the cake to taste good!)?

Can BC or rolled BC be luster dusted? Or marzipan?

So whatever medium I find that can do gold, what color do I start with before painting the luster dust? A gold icing color? Or ivory?

How much area does one of the little tubs of luster dust actually cover? Or would this cake end up costing me a luxury price?

My only other idea which mite be half do-able is take the very top of the building and try to sculpt that iced with gray and black BC and dust with silver luster. It looks sort of like a boat shape, so I could follow some of the boat cakes that have been done. Then partially stack it offset like the contours of the top of the building on a round in front and 2 squares to the back sides. Which would also mean some dowel work. Yikes!

Ideas? Hints? HELP!

7 replies
MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 10 Sep 2005 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 8

Royal icing will certainly take the gold colouring if you brush or paint it with lustre dust, so will marzipan. I don't know about the buttercream. I don't know how much lustre dust costs over there but one small tub goes a long way, especially if it's painted. I bought mine 2 years ago, I do a lot of cakes with gold trumpets on and I still have half a tub left

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 10 Sep 2005 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 8

maybe you can do a bct of a city skyline and then in the middle of it on the middle of the cake put the company logo. you could just do a basic city scape. Luster dust here in texas cost 4.35 a tub a litte does go a long way. I dont think you can paint og bc but i do know you can on chocolate. hope this helps

ivanabacowboy Posted 10 Sep 2005 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks! I dont think it would take a ton of luster if it goes as far as you guys say it does. I would only be doing little outlines and a number of shells/ropes.

I am glad it would work with Royal. Missbaritone, I think I saw that you put on another post that there is a way to make Royal that wont get totally hard ie that it will stay softer underneath? Like adding glycerin or glucose or something? I know the English actually cover cakes in Royal and I couldnt imagine that it is straight or that would be one crunchy cake lol!

Luster on chocolate! Brilliant! I know I can work with chocolate. I think that I will do the logo part in chocolate. Basically just a chocolate plaque and piped letters/outlines.

I like the BCT skyline idea and will think how I could incorporate it. Nothing very detailed maybe a night shadow type skyline.

Thank you for the help! I now have at least half a plan.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 10 Sep 2005 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 8

Yes we do use a lot of royal icing. It's not as popular now as it once was but a lot of people still like that traditional look. You do still hear a lot of stories about people not being able to cut through the icing on their wedding cakes, which is caused by inexperienced decorators not adding glycerine to the icing. Basically for every 1lb of icing sugar add 1 teaspoon of glycerine. The outside will still set but it will remain softer underneath making it much easier to cut and eat

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 8

I like susanmms' idea of the skyline...I think it would be very dramatic and beautiful.

The night sky....stars....the Logo....

ivanabacowboy Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 8

I've got it! See attached. It will be a sheet iced in white. The buildings and logos will be chocolate plaques tinted black. Doing chocolate rectangles should be fairly easy lol! The gold will be like sliver gold accents to signify the windows on the buildings. I stink at paint but the shell border will be Royal with the glycerine to not get so hard done in alternating black and gold luster.
LL

Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 11:27pm
post #8 of 8

Maybe you could do an edilble image of the building itself. I like the idea of the logo with black and gold luster dust and shell border to match.

With the edible image you could stay true to the project.

Just an idea.

Looking forward to seeing the finished cake!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%