Can You Use Fbct Method With Royal Icing? Is It Difficult?

Decorating By jennifercullen Updated 27 Sep 2011 , 10:48pm by Marianna46

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 10:06am
post #1 of 2

I'm doing a football shirt cake for Saturday, and was thinking of putting a badge somewhere on it even though its the back of the shirt. I just wondered if you could use the frozen buttercream transfer method with royal icing and get the sane effect? Obviously you'd need to let each 'layer' set before putting on the next. Has anyone tried it? I've never actually tried the fbct method so it could turn out badly!

1 reply
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 2

Yes, you can, but the method is a liitle different. In the first place, you don't freeze it. In the second place, you end up with the visible side up, not down against the paper base. You do the outline in a thickish RI and then fill in with thinner RI (check out Wilton's instructions for doing color flow with RI to see what the consistency should be. You have to make it far enough in advance so that it can dry thoroughly and you can peel the waxed paper or plastic wrap off the back without breaking your plaque. I've tried to remove them before they're ready and they just crumble to pieces. I'd give it several days to a week to dry. Good luck with your cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%