Attaching Rhinestone Ribbons To Cake

Decorating By sberryp Updated 4 Oct 2011 , 3:11pm by tarabara

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 2:10am
post #1 of 10

I have notice a couple of cakes attaching rhinestone ribbon as a boarder. Do I need to put something behind the ribbon before attaching it directly to the cake? What am I suppose to use to attach it to the cake?

9 replies
cakemaker61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker61 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 10

I've done it a couple of times and after the cake was stacked at the venue, piped a very thin bead of frosting around the bottom of the tier and then wrapped the ribbon around. If I'm using just regular ribbon, I'll line it with scotch tape first and apply it right after I frost the cake so it will stick. (buttercream frosted....don't work with fondant)

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 12:39am
post #3 of 10

If it's a buttercream cake, it will attach to the buttercream. If it's a fondant cake, I just brush a small amount of water on the cake where the beads will go and they stick.

KristasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristasCakes Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 2:22am
post #4 of 10

How do you keep the ribbon from getting greasy?

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 2:35am
post #5 of 10

I would imagine that the one idea of putting tape behind the ribbon would help it not get greasy, but my question there is what keeps the tape from coming off of the back of the ribbon once the ribbon has been on the buttercream cake for awhile and is that food safe? after reading the thread on here this past week about putting rhinestone ribbons around cakes I have had a few questions myself. I think they are beautiful, but definitely need to know more before I would use one. To anyone who has a lot of experience in this area we would all appreciate any input. Thanks. Julie

tarabara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarabara Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 3:05am
post #6 of 10

I've read that Glad Press n' Seal is the best way to go since it's both grease-proof and food safe. Not sure how to make sure it doesn't come off of the ribbon except perhaps hot glue gun?

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 10

tarabara, I am not sure how the press and seal works, but if you hot glued it to the ribbon your plastic would melt from the hot glue and that would not be foodsafe.

I was wondering if you could wrap some floral wires that have been cut into say 2" lengths with the tape that would make them food safe and adhere the ribbon to the cake in a few places with the wires as well as the icing? since I have not seen any of the Rhinestone ribbon I do not know if this idea would work, but could not think of anthing else as thin as that wire and I believe that, that would make it unobtrusive and very easy to hide. I could be very wrong? Just thinking of possibilities.

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 1:20pm
post #8 of 10

When using ribbon on the cake I cut a long thin piece of wax/or parchment paper the diameter of the tier and a little shorter than the width of the ribbon as to not show. I wrap this around the cake first and as my cakes are cold, the paper will kinda stick and seal itself so no pining is needed. I wrap the ribbon over this and pin in the back of the cake.

The diamond cake banding whether its going on the cake plain or overlapping ribbon, gets placed on the cake as normal with nothing behind it. Just simply snip the banding to the width of your tiers and pin down each end. I would say the diamond banding doesn't need anything behind it as it creates a flawless clean look and will hold on its own if pinned. If placing the banding around the top edge or center of the tier, you may have to pin every couple of 3-4" with a pearl head pin (No one will notice the headpins (pearl only). To the eye the sparkle is what you see. When they go to break down the cake, even if they don't see them at first they can't pull the band out with out seeing the pins pop out. They typically stay snug in between the banding and don't fall out into the cake when they do this.)

The best and most cost efficient place to get diamond cake banding in different widths (and a few other colors) is diamond party confetti.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 10

I use rhinestone banding (real Sawrovsky crystals) not the rhinestone ribbon. I sanitize the banding and some T-pins. Then just wrap the banding around the cake and secure it with the T-pins. THEN, I also leave a note for the caterer, telling them how many T-pins were used, so they can count them as they take them out.

tarabara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarabara Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:11pm
post #10 of 10

Well the hot glue gun may not be a good idea but it looks like it's also not necessary. In these links people recommend the Glad Press n Seal or wax paper but the Glad is more flexible (Scotch tape is not considered food safe):
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=128401&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=
http://pub45.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3783415996&frmid=34&msgid=974935&cmd=show
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-687503-.html&sid=74e92579bc86a5bf5bb38dfc8a95ae70

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%