Quick Help! Cream Cheese Frosting

Baking By Osgirl Updated 24 Sep 2011 , 12:54pm by Caker16

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 1:52am
post #1 of 8

Last night and the night before I baked a fairly large amount of cupcakes for a friend. I put all of them in the freezer with plans to frost them tonight. I started thawing them out a few hours ago (on the counter).

I need to have them frosted for tomorrow night, and I won't have enough time to frost them tomorrow before hand. I was planning to frost them tonight.

Problem is-several will have cream cheese frosting. Of course I can't leave them sit out overnight. I'm nervous about putting them in the frig. I have done that before with fine results, but not after freezing and thawing out.

WWYD? Frost them tonight and put them in the frig? Make all the frosting tonight and, with fingers crossed, try to get them frosted tomorrow before I bring them to my friend?

Yikes! I don't know what to do! Thanks for any advice.

7 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 8

Personally, I'd frost them tonight and leave them out, but I have problems with refrigerator space. There's enough sugar in cream cheese icing to stave of bacterial growth for a couple of days. If you have the refrigerator space, you can put them in there with no problems. Freezing and defrosting cake is not like freezing and defrosting meat - the fact that they have been frozen makes absolutely no difference (assuming you covered them airtight before freezing - otherwise, they might have dried out a little). HTH!

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 8

Ditto what Marianna said

Osgirl Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you! I actually did some searching last night and felt comfortable with the decision to frost them and leave them out. It was pretty cool in my kitchen last night and this morning anyways. I didn't want to put them in the frig and risk drying them out either.

Caker16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caker16 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 8

I am having a similar worry about a mini cake for a wedding that I just frosted and then covered in fondant. I finished covering it at about 6pm and it won't be cut into until about 8 or 9pm tomorrow night. The person who made these cupcakes didn't post a follow up so I am not sure what to do. I am assuming that if I leave it out it will be okay with the air conditioning, air tight container and powdered sugar to protect it. Is that a good assumption to make? Let me know if this will end badly!! TIA!

Caker16 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 8

wow, just saw that there was no follow up post because we only posted these a few hours apart. My brain is in nine different places while I coordinate everything for this wedding- please excuse the momentary lapse in my common sense! lol

Osgirl Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:01am
post #7 of 8

I delivered the cupcakes late this afternoon and they turned out great! I ate one tonight as did my kids (I made some extras) and they were awesome. I'm alive and feeling well ;0) I had remembered too that I've left cupcakes with cream cheese frosting out before with no problems.

Caker16 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 12:54pm
post #8 of 8

That's great! Thanks for the quick response!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%