Teaching Cupcake Decorating To Teens

Baking By rlowry03 Updated 23 Sep 2011 , 9:01pm by TexasSugar

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 1:18am
post #1 of 6

I've been asked to teach a cupcake decorating class to a group of teen girls. I could really use some ideas about what I can teach them in one afternoon. I figure I can hold their attention for 90 minutes tops. I think the buttercream rose will be a little too advanced. I need something that they can succeed at pretty easy. It also needs to be something I can easily teach with some basic tips so that I don't have to go buy anymore. I have plenty of the 104 tips and star tips. Any ideas? Maybe with a picture so they can see what they're creating?

5 replies
terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 1:42am
post #2 of 6

You have over an hour...have a minimum of 6 cupcakes each...swirl icing...show them how to make fondont cut-out flowers , maybe whimsey roses...leaves....... maybe you could do a flower pot with cupcake flowers...check on search for cupcake bouquets.....or just search for cupcakes on CC and a lot of ideas will come up. You might be surprised about the buttercream roses.. you have plenty of time to show them and help them...some kids are a natural at them....some not so much but they will have a great time trying.... Good luck and have fun.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 1:58am
post #3 of 6

I did this recently, and they (boys and girls) mostly spent the whole time just making one little figurine out of fondant.

They made all sorts of things, much different that what I suggested and had a ball. Even though they didn't look super professional, they didn't care - they thought they were magnificent!

I meant to get them to do their own swirls, but they were so engrossed in modelling, they didn't care.

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 6

I am limited to buttercream because of the cost factor, at least for now. I'm thinking about bringing the icing already made and having them do a swirl, a ribbon rose, and a daisy. I'm also thinking about showing them some different things you can do with a star tip like stars and shells.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 6

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2161973
These were made with rounds, star and grass tips.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2161974
This rounds and basketweave (can use the 104 in place)

I just uploaded so hopefully they work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%