Whipped Egg Whites... Shrink Cake

Baking By 2sweetcookies Updated 23 Sep 2011 , 9:13pm by 2sweetcookies

2sweetcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sweetcookies Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 1:56am
post #1 of 8

My cakes are shrinking and I can't quite put my finger on why.
I always bake from scratch, my vanilla and white cake recipes call for whipped egg whites, there are many times they come out looking great and then shrink so much I have to go hurry up and make another batch for another layer just so the cake doesnt look skimpy... so frustrating.

Not sure what i'm doing wrong, I love the recipes and would hate to change them. The cream of tartar is mixed in with the dry ingredients, not sure if I should be mixing it with the egg whites. I am gently folding in the whites and all my ingredients are room temp.Does it have anything to do with greasing the pans? (although I always do it the same way)

If anyone has any tips on this tecnique I would be greatful.

7 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sweetcookies Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 8

what great sites, thanks you. Does anyone know when I slhjould really add the cream of tartar? The recipe says to mix with dry ingredients. But I am finding maybe I should put it in when whipping the egg whites? Afarid to try it.

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 8

The COT goes in after the egg whites have been whipped a bit. Adding it to the dry ingredients does nothing, you want the effects in the egg whites themselves. What recipe are you using? Sounds like it could be one of mine, but not with instructions like that.

2sweetcookies Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 8

I use the WBH white cake. It shrinks so much. I love the recipe but never know how its going to come out.
I also use the Martha Stewart vanilla cake that has the same method but hers does not call for cream of tartar, still shirnks

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 8

Try pulling them out of the oven a couple of minutes before you usually would. Shrinking could be from over baking...even a minute makes a difference.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 8

They are probably slightly overbaked. You can also try not greasing the pan sides (run a knife to release after baking) so they climb and hold instead of releasing prematurely (heh heh)

2sweetcookies Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 8

I just tried using wax paper around the sides 3" tall and added extra batter, so I actually got a 2" high cake for the very first time, however my 9" ended up to be closer to 8" and my 6" around 5" so the sides still shrunk, so they still shrunk after they started cooling out of the pan.
I will try these tips next time. and see what happens I would hate to change my recipe, so frustrating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%