Chilling Cake???

Decorating By Janiepie Updated 22 Sep 2011 , 7:59pm by Janiepie

Janiepie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janiepie Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 6

I've seen on TV shows where bakers put their cakes in coolers when frosted with buttercream before coveriing in fondant. Doesn't the fondant then sweat when you put it on a chilled cake? What is your opinion on the best way to do this? Thanks for your help!

5 replies
lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 6

That is how I do it and I never have issues. Yes it does get a little sticky in the summer months when it's humid, but a little corn starch gets rid of it so long as you move quickly you won't have to add much. The nice thing is that when you chill the whole cake and take it out, the little bit of condensation that happens clears up the corn starch streaks if you get any. The cake might get a little bit (or a lot-a-bit if it's very humid) tacky, but if you just leave it be, it will dry like nothing ever happened.

icon_smile.gif

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 6

I chill all my cakes before covering in fondant (even if it's only for 1/2 hour). It helps make the cake sturdier as well as keep the BC/Ganache hard enough so you have tall, straight sides and edges. I work quickly and smooth the fondant all over the cake before the condensation starts then just let it sit at room temperature untouched until completely dry. At times, I can just place decorations right on the cake while it's drying and not have to mess with brushing the backs with water.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 6

I've never had that happen to my fondant either. After I cover it, if Im not going to decorate right away I put it back in the cooler. Once in a while it will get a little shiny but that goes away.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 6

I've never had that happen to my fondant either. After I cover it, if Im not going to decorate right away I put it back in the cooler. Once in a while it will get a little shiny but that goes away.

Janiepie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janiepie Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 6

OK! Thanks yawl!!

www.cakestudioj.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%