Nordic Ware Train Cake - How To Use Fondant Icing?

Decorating By balletgirl1909 Updated 24 Aug 2013 , 4:45pm by Skirt

balletgirl1909 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
balletgirl1909 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 31

I bought a trian shaped nordic ware pan last year and tried to ice it wiht butter cream and it was a disaster. What is the best way to decorated a nordic ware cake to bring out detail. I would like to do it in fondant if possible but cannot find instructions.

Thank you ballet girl

30 replies
Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 31

AI am posting a reply in the hopes that someone has the answer to this! I read somewhere that you could make fondant 'covers' by shaping the fondant over the pan? Does anyone know if this is possible? Thanks for your help!

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 31

AHow about a poured icing?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 31

yes i just glazed mine and i stopped there because i liked it--

you could color the glaze

you could color the cake batter in the first place too

but if i wanted to spiff it up more i would prolly spray glazed cakes w/bright pretty colors

and use edible ink markers for some accents

i think the only way fondant would not blot out most of the lovely detail is if you rolled it paper thin and placed it on hot cakes and i've never done that so it might melt right off or bond beautifully

but i've done everything wrong at least once and i haven't done that wrong yet so be forewarned ;)

wonder what a rolled buttercream would do on a warm cake--prolly melt

hey--here's an idea--spray and/or paint naked cakes with color then glaze!

<high five>

i just love this pan though and the castle too

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 31

I'd try poured fondant  or colored modeling chocolate. 

Skirt Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 2:17am
post #6 of 31

AThe cakes just came out of the oven. The experimentation shall begin tomorrow!

Sassyzan Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 2:21am
post #7 of 31

APost pics if you can! I love the looks of their pans, but never know what to do with the cakes besides sprinkle with powdered sugar.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 4:07am
post #8 of 31

i got my pan sitting right here by the keyboard...so tempting

but i'm out of vanilla...a temporary set back...

i esp wanna try the paint first glaze later method

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 4:15am
post #9 of 31

That's why I don't like character pans because the only thing you can do with them is to use icing and the star tip.  I have the stadium Nordic pan and had the same problem.  How to decorate it without obliterating the design.  Ended up brushing on a clear sugarwater glaze then tossing a lot of colored round jimmies on the sticky cake to resemble audience members in the stand seats.

Skirt Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 9:08pm
post #10 of 31

AFirst attempt: [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2909297/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

I'm not crazy about it. Seems very flat. Poured icing is next

Skirt Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 4:27am
post #11 of 31

ATried making poured fondant/icing, epic fail. :-( used a recipe that calls for confectioners sugar. I might try regular sugar tomorrow. Is it possible i heated the sugar mixture too fast? Discouraged but not defeated...

Skirt Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 10:37am
post #12 of 31

AI molded the cavity of the pan with fondant. It turned out nice but now I have to figure out how to accent/color it [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2909719/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Sassyzan Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 12:35pm
post #13 of 31

AMuch better detail. How did you get the fondant back out? Did you push the cake back in the pan with the fondant?

Maybe painting for embellishment? Or it would be tedious, but pressing different colors of fondant into the mold.

Skirt Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 5:26pm
post #14 of 31

AI dusted the cavity with corn starch, rolled the fondant out then pressed it in. I let it sit overnight. I trimmed the edges with an Xacto. I gently coaxed it out. Because the cakes retract a bit after cooking, there is room to ice and then place the molded piece of fondant on top. Today I will mold more then try my hand at painting. Did I mention high school art is the one subject I failed?!?

Skirt Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 8:08pm
post #15 of 31

AFinal result. Not ooh la la but not too bad... [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2917190/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 8:36pm
post #16 of 31

I think they are cute! What was your final method?

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 8:58pm
post #17 of 31

AThe train looks great!! I never would have thought to mold the fondant in the pan and then place over a crumb coated cake. Did the fondant adhere to the icing ok or did you need to use omething, like water, to help it?

Annabakescakes Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 9:41pm
post #18 of 31

AI have used character pans to mold fondant in, and on the outside. It helps greatly!

Skirt Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 11:58pm
post #19 of 31

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

I think they are cute! What was your final method?

In the end, I rolled out fondant, dusted both sides with a bit of corn starch and pressed it into the corn starch dusted mold. I let it sit overnight. I pulled out the hardened fondant, dusted it off then colored it using edible ink pens. I found putting the fondant on the inside was easier than the outside since if it tore on a corner you could repair using an extra piece of fondant and it didn't really show on the finished piece.

I hope this helps someone else one day who, like me, is staring blankly at that pan, wondering 'how am I going to do this???' :-)

halesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
halesgirl Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 3:56am
post #20 of 31

Thank you for the input! I too was going crazy trying to figure out how to do this, the cake lost a lot of detail when being baked . You should do a you tube video , there is nothing on there .And what there is gives no direction and the cakes aren't appealing to the eye . cyber hugs and high fives to you!!!!!

Skirt Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 6:38pm
post #21 of 31

AThanks Halesgirl! Me? Do a video? Funny funny....:)

halesgirl Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 4:22am
post #22 of 31

Your trains turned out cute ,Now I am learning and I am nowhere as good as I'd like to be . I have been at it for 2 years . each time I make a cake I always say its a first , the next time it will be better , I will get faster , and it will get easier . So with that said this is my very 1st train cake ;

Annabakescakes Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 1:06pm
post #23 of 31

AVery nice!!! What is the gravel made of? That is a very realistic train and scene! I really love it :-)

Skirt Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 4:53pm
post #24 of 31

AHalesgirl, you put my train to shame! Your train looks awesome!

halesgirl Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 2:48am
post #25 of 31

nerds, sprayed with lusterdust  spray !

The lighter is raw sugar  ! Thank you .....

impress52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
impress52 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 6:07am
post #26 of 31

ADid someone mention frosting under the fondant? How does that work?

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 2:09pm
post #27 of 31

A

Original message sent by impress52

Did someone mention frosting under the fondant? How does that work?

Your hen covering a cake with fondant, you need something for the Fondant to adhere too (examples: buttercream/frosting-whatever you want to call it or ganache)

Their speaking of sort of a brilliant, backwards way to cover an odd shaped cake by forming the fondant around (or inside) the pan then sticking the cake inside-rather then the 'typical' method of baking, frosting, and covering the cake in fondant.

impress52 Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 7:35am
post #28 of 31

ASounds like you decorated the fondant molds before placing them on the train cars? Did you need to make the cake flat? I have to start making this tomorrow and I'm freaking out!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 10:27am
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by halesgirl 

nerds, sprayed with lusterdust  spray !

The lighter is raw sugar  ! Thank you .....

Genius! I Will have to remember nerds (looks like I will be raiding the kids candy stash after parades and Halloween hehe)

impress52 Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 7:12pm
post #30 of 31

AI bought chocolate pebbles/rocks. they look great. I have no idea what to use for rails. I can't figure out if I'll be able to decorate the fondant ahead of time before putting on the cakes. If the fondant molds can sit out by themselves without losing form, I can then have the cake molds to bake my cake. Order of things done is posing a dilemma... at least some questions what to do first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%