Had To Close Up Shop Unexpectantly

Business By KellyJo3 Updated 21 Sep 2011 , 11:16am by scp1127

KellyJo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyJo3 Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 3

In my city I am not able to bake from my home therefore I was renting a kitchen from a restaraunt for 20.00 an hour. Which as you can tell by that, I was not really profiting anything, sometimes I would even lose money. But when I intially started my business I was told the wrong information and to make a long story short I had to rent this kitchen right away. I did not close my business after I found that out because I figured I'd give it a try and we planned on moving next summer to a city I would be able to run my business from home. So why not get into the swing of things now and just experience it all. No better way to learn than to try it out right?

Well business has been at a stand still for the last couple of months. I had no orders come in. I was only doing cakes for friends and family, which were gifts so I just made them at home since they were not purchasing anything from me. So didn't break any laws or anything.

Well I didn't really keep in contact with the restaraunt I was renting from, which I should have. I got a message from my health inspector informing me that they stopped by the restaraunt that I was renting and that they noticed they had gone out of business. I couldn't believe it! I had no knowledge of it. No warning at all. I got no phone call or nothing. Luckily I had no orders booked because I would have been royally screwed!

Well I was upset for a min. Then when I actually sat down and thought about it. I'm actually kinda relieved I had to close up shop. I'm happy I don't have to deal with some of the rudest people I've ever met. I'm happy I am able to spend more time with my 3 kids and husband. I'm happy that my laundry has been done regularly, I have time to cook wonderful dinners, I'm not having powdered sugar sneezes, I'm already losing weight from not sampling my orders, I don't have to fill out anymore tax forms-and adding a 10.00 late fee to them because I always forgot until the day after they were due!

Now I know having a cake business is some of you wonderful people's dream and don't get me wrong not all of it was bad for me, but I started to lose the joy I had for baking and cake decorating. Sometimes dealing with the public can really put a damper on things. I will always give props to anyone who does this for a living. I would just rather make beautiful cakes for free to those who appreciate it the most like my family and friends rather than to those who just make it not worth it anymore. They say things happen for a reason and I don't think I was meant to do this for a living, just as a hobbie. God bless and good luck to all of you who are able to stick it out! : )

2 replies
lilcakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcakebaker Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 3

I couldn't agree with you more! I enjoy decorating cakes for my friends and family. They alone are enough to keep me busy through out the year! I had to deal with the public for years when I worked at the Okla Highway Patrol and I knew from that I never wanted to have to please the general public again...and especially with my baking skills!

Glad you're happy again!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 11:16am
post #3 of 3

Contact the owner and ask to use the shop in return for the utilities and watching over this now abandoned building. I'm a landlord and it is a real pain to watch over an empty building for leaks, break-ins, and repairs. This ia a good deal for both of you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%