Customer Arguing About Cake Size And Servings

Decorating By aprilismaius Updated 20 Sep 2011 , 11:55pm by BlakesCakes

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 12

I am at my wits end. A customer of mine that has ordered cupcakes from me for several years in a row has requested a carved cake to serve 25 people for a birthday. I gave her pricing and sent her some examples of previous work for a similar cake for another customer. She thought the cake looked too small, so I provided dimensions and an explanation of party cake serving size from Wilton. She still felt it wasn't a big enough cake. So I provided her with a cutting chart, showing how it could be cut to get the proper amount of servings. She sent another email back, asking for another quote, for a similar cake, stating she didn't think that the cake I proposed was going to be big enough. I don't know what to do next. I already suggested she talk to another baker and get their thoughts. What would your next move be?

11 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 12

Make her a cake big enough for 50, and charge double your original quote? icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 12

"I'm sorry but I don't think I am the baker for you."

jamieq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamieq Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 12

is she willing to pay for a larger rendition of this cake? If she is, and you are able to, just make her the larger cake. She may just have a ton of leftovers, and an unheard "I told you so" looming over her head!! icon_rolleyes.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 12

I don't get what the problem is...if the customer wants to pay for a bigger cake, give them a bigger cake. Wilton's serving size of 1.5"x2" is just a suggestion, and if the customer wants to have bigger servings that is their prerogative.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 12

give the customer however much cake she wants, just be sure you charge appropriately for it.

although, she will have a bunch of cake leftover.

I had a 50th birthday party cake order and they thought the wilton serving size was just too small so they ordered and paid for double the amount of cake so they could serve generous slices. Against my recommendation, but they were paying so I didn't complain when I cashed their check.

They actually had the nerve to complain that I wasn't at the party to deal with all the extra cake that was leftover. SERIOUSLY, I left some boxes for the leftovers, but they had a ton of cake left because the caterer didn't know she should cut the slices huge and cut them normal size.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 12

So what's the problem? Once she stated she didn't think it was big enough you quote the next size (or 2) up from there. NO need to go all through what you did.
She wants a bigger cake - give her the next size (or two) up and be sure to charge for whichever size she picks.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 11:47pm
post #8 of 12

I definitely wouldn't refer her to another baker...it sounds like she wants to purchase a larger cake.

She obviously feels that the "suggested serving size" isn't large enough...don't send her away, quote her the larger size.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 2:36am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

I definitely wouldn't refer her to another baker...it sounds like she wants to purchase a larger cake.

She obviously feels that the "suggested serving size" isn't large enough...don't send her away, quote her the larger size.

Exactly!

You set the serving size by which you charge--not the customer. She wants larger servings when she cuts, you have to charge her more for the cake. She can cut it anyway she darn pleases.

As for carved cakes, I charge by the servings in the cake that I start with. If I have to bake and cut up 50 servings of cake to get 25, they pay for 50.

Rae

ValerieElizabeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValerieElizabeth Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 2:57am
post #10 of 12

If she wants more cake, give her more cake...with the higher price icon_smile.gif At least if she has a ton of cake left over you can tell her that you told her so!

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 2:27pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Oh, I did this. Multiple times. I even offered to refer her to ladies in my cake club.

I finally got her on the phone last night, and what she hadn't been telling me was that while she was ordering a cake (and wanting to pay for a cake) for 25, when what she really needed was a cake for 50. Uh, then order a cake for 50! Good grief!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 11:55pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilismaius

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Oh, I did this. Multiple times. I even offered to refer her to ladies in my cake club.

I finally got her on the phone last night, and what she hadn't been telling me was that while she was ordering a cake (and wanting to pay for a cake) for 25, when what she really needed was a cake for 50. Uh, then order a cake for 50! Good grief!

OMG! What a dufus! Did you apologize for having your crystal ball in the shop????

So her trying to be cheap was keeping you up nights and second guessing yourself?

Don't ya' just looovvve people sometimes?

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%