Hot Pink Fondant With Out An Airbrush, Possible?

Decorating By Periperi Updated 19 Sep 2011 , 4:23pm by TartletteTreats

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 7

I'd like to make a hot pink/zebra striped cake but I do not own an airbrush. Last time I tried to make fondant that dark it just crumbled and fell apart. Is there anything I can do to achieve hot pink?

6 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 7

why did your fondant crumble? I make hot pink all the time and have no problems. I use gel based colors.

Periperi Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 7

I used the Wilton gel colors and every time I rolled it out it just tore and crumbled. The texture was completely changed. The same batch of fondant colored in light colors was fine and behaved like normal.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 7

I did hot pink a couple of days ago I used Americolor electric pink. Try to make it at least a week ahead of time it will get darker with time. Another pointer, a lot of food coloring will make the fondant really sticky & soft, so I mixed both Satin Ice with Wilton.. I got both good taste with perfect consistency

HTH thumbs_up.gif

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 7

when it comes to bright or difficult colors I cheat and purchase the fondant the color. Satin Ice has a great HOT PINK.. I use it more than I thought I would but it does keep for a long time as long as it is stored properly.

The only time I try to color fondant is if it is for small accent pieces. Like today I need to try and make figures for a Monsters Inc. cake.. all that green and blue. Hum.. note to self... get off this site and start to work!!!

Periperi Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the replies everyone. =)

TartletteTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TartletteTreats Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 7

The Duff hot pink I got cracked liked crazy - just FYI

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%