At A Bootfair Now Selling Cupcakes

Baking By sugar_rush_cupcakes11 Updated 25 Sep 2011 , 11:04am by neelycharmed

sugar_rush_cupcakes11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar_rush_cupcakes11 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 8:33am
post #1 of 21

im at a boot fair in the uk at 9:30 in the
Morning! Been here for a couple of hours and only sold 3 cupcakes!
I'm selling them at £1 each and keep getting told
To reduce price to 50p! What do u think?

20 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 10:36am
post #2 of 21

Hi,
I've just seen some of your cupcakes in your gallery, and they are really pretty and 50p and even £1 is too little for them, perhaps a boot fair isn't the best place to sell them, people tend to go to them for cheap stuff, thats why you're being told to sell them cheaper, because people won't pay that much for them, even though they are clearly worth more. Is there somewhere else you could sell them or just sell them to people for birthdays/weddings etc in dozens? It seems as though you would be selling them at a loss in a boot fair.

There is a cupcake shop in cardiff that sells their cupcakes for £2.20 each as the standard price! and they look plain compared with the ones in your gallery!

Hope this helps! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

sugar_rush_cupcakes11 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 11:17am
post #3 of 21

Yeah, I think your right! We prob only sold about 20 at 50p! I've called it a day and taken the remaining 160 cupcakes to the children's ward at the hospital! Let's hope they enjoy icon_smile.gif

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 12:26pm
post #4 of 21

Hi! I'm also in the UK and was considering bootsales to seel my cupcakes etc, but as another poster said- generally, people at bootsales are after a bargain and think spending more than 50p for ANYTHING is a loss.

I'm now considering going more to fundraising events/craft fairs etc.

I had a look on www.stallfinder.com and there was lots in my area, where people would most likely be willing to pay that little extra. I would suggest a market stall, but if you're anything like me it's a) too expensive to hire a pitch, and b) you'd have to make and sell HUNDREDS to cover the cost of the pitch alone! Fundraising events etc will usually cost much less.

HTH! Sorry to hear you didn't have much luck today icon_sad.gif

JamAndButtercream Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 12:28pm
post #5 of 21

oh that was such a nice thing to do I bet they'll love them. icon_biggrin.gif

With your cupcakes though, don't sell them at a lose like that, like I said this cupcake shop in cardiff, wales, sells them for £2.20 each and they are quite plain compared with yours, look at the link below at their menu,

http://www.sugarswirlzcupcakery.co.uk/#!__menu

Lemmers Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 21

Wow they are pricey!! I suppose they have to factor in the cost of running a store, but thats why I'm planning to make sure I have a professional look to my stall etc when i start selling- logo on all my stationary, banner, sticker with my logo on all the boxes etc. I honestly think people will be more willing to pay the right price for a product if it's clear you are a BUSINESS and not just a home baker making fairy cakes with your kiddies. You wouldn't dream of asking Starbucks to sell you a cake for 50p, but because you see someone holding a stall they forget you are there to MAKE MONEY.

Like JamandButtercream said- don't sell your product short- they look gorgeous and deserve well over the insulting 50p people were offering you icon_mad.gif

sugar_rush_cupcakes11 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 21

Yeah, I wont be doing that again! I will take a look at that website lemmers to see if I can do this again, but properly! Also thinking about setting up a Facebook page! Can't hurt! And these cupcakes I did today were pretty plain! Just thick buttercream swirls with small candy on top and chocolate buttercream roses! I'm glad I didnt decorate every single one to a theme, which is what I was going to do, I would of been alot more disappointed! But if you don't get out there to try, you will never make it! Unfortunately businesses can come with a loss! Just gonna get back on the horse and try again! Glad they didn't all go to waste! icon_smile.gif

sugar_rush_cupcakes11 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 21

Very good point lemmers! My next stall will def look alot more professional! I totally agree with u about making it look business like and people being more willing to pay the prices! Oh well! We all learn by mistakes lol

Lemmers Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 21

Well good luck on your next venture! It sounds like your cupcakes were well beyond 'basic' so I hope you find your market to get what you deserve for them icon_smile.gif

Would love to see a picture btw!!

sugar_rush_cupcakes11 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 1:18pm
post #10 of 21

i didnt take any photos! i really should of, that many cupcakes would of made a good photo!

Lemmers Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 2:01pm
post #11 of 21

Aww thats a shame! Can sometimes be the last thing you want to do though when you've got box loads of cupcakes to contend with icon_smile.gif

JamAndButtercream Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 4:15pm
post #12 of 21

@Lemmmers,
Yeah they are pricey! Did you see the cupcakes in the link I put on my last post? I think they could be a lot nicer looking for £2.20! All of them basically look the same, I don't know what they taste like though, they could be the worlds best cupcake.................doubt it though, would you have thought the worlds best cupcake would be in Wales? icon_lol.gif

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 6:27pm
post #13 of 21

Are you kidding??????????????

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 6:42pm
post #14 of 21

maybe this is a little random and off topic, but what is a bootfair?? LOL! Im in the US, so maybe its called something else? Or, maybe I just dont get out much LOL icon_rolleyes.gif

JamAndButtercream Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 7:52pm
post #15 of 21

@ConfectionsCC

Have you ever heard it called a car boot sale? Its basically the british version of an american "Yard Sale" but like a field is rented and then people can bring things to sell from their cars, basically where people are looking for cheap bargains!

icon_smile.gif

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 8:39pm
post #16 of 21

Hi,

I did the same as you and sold at a car boot sale last year. I had to sell them at 1.00 each, where now I have a business and Facebook page etc. and sell at 2.50. I don't think selling cakes out of the back of a car is going to make money....I personally wouldn't buy food like that.

It was a lovely idea to donate the cakes to the children's hospital...I hope the business works out well for you. Don't sell yourself short icon_smile.gif

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 4:04pm
post #17 of 21

Ahh thanks, I think we call it a flea market...maybe some places call it differently here, but yea, we do stuff like that here too LOL! There are people who sell fresh produce at stuff like that, but I have never seen a cupcake sell or anything...!

emma_123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emma_123 Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 4:27pm
post #18 of 21

I did this the other week too to try it out and although things were popular the one I went to was very quiet with few traders there so it would have been better at a bigger one I think. I did victoria sponge, lemon drizzle and gingerbread men which were popular too but I decided afterwards it wasn't quite the right place really even though there was a lot of interest and I got a birthday cake order from it too. I've now got a stall at a local farmers market to see if that is any better, its more expensive but there are people there selling bigger cakes so hopefully cupcakes will be popular too and it might get me some more orders.

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 4:45pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

Ahh thanks, I think we call it a flea market...maybe some places call it differently here, but yea, we do stuff like that here too LOL! There are people who sell fresh produce at stuff like that, but I have never seen a cupcake sell or anything...!

I think it sounds like what we call a Flea Market too... and around here you would definitely not get top dollar for a gourmet cupcake!

Lemmers Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 10:23am
post #20 of 21

I suppose one way you could look at it is that you can use the bootsale/flea market for cheaper advertising- take along a load of business cards and photos of your other creations then you may get some future orders!

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:04am
post #21 of 21

I started to sell at the Farmer's market, and I always sold out in the first hour! icon_smile.gif
I did sell out at the flea market too, but always took a lot longer...
Hope everything works out for you!
Jodi icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%