Help Make Leaf Veiner

Decorating By ShaunPepe Updated 19 Sep 2011 , 4:12pm by ShaunPepe

ShaunPepe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunPepe Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 4

Ok I have some silicone putty and I was plannng to make a leaf veiner this weekend, but now reading the instructions I found on CC on how to make a double sided leaf veiner (I found it in the Makeyourownmold.com forum and I have never used silicone before) I don't have the clay to use with the leaf. I also did not buy any sort of Release-dit. Is there any other alternatives I can use to these products? I live hours from any cities that would carry these products, so I am kinda stuck. Could use a foodsafe children's homemade playdoh or fondant to thicken the leaf? I am not sure what to do now.

Anyone made a silicone leaf veiner before? Any help appreciated.

3 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 4

Hi,
While I haven't made a mould for leaf veiners, I'm actually a stop motion animator by trade! and I made moulds for a film I was working on for my final year, the moulds were made using basic clay and plaster and then latex casts were taken from them.

When I made moulds we had to use a release spray because we wouldn't be able to seperate it otherwise and I can't say what would happen if you used playdoh, the playdoh I know used to go slimy after a while so I'm not really sure what would happen if it was used in a mould.
I also found this video on youtube,

Really hope this helps! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 4

Just an added tidbit. I love using the make a mold stuff shown in the utube video. I let the bottom layer cure for the 20 minutes. Then if you coat the exposed edges of the bottom part of the mold with shortning (just rub over the edge with shortning covered finger) the top layer won't adher to the bottom. Great for making a 3d acorn etc.

ShaunPepe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunPepe Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your help. I almost lost this post because it was moved plus had posted first in the moldmaking forum and it got deleted. I think I may just give up on the leaf idea and keep the silicone for making a lace mold in the future. I have made leaf veins by hand before and they turned out great, just alittle more work. I guess most of the people that have made silicone molds have bought all the extra products and supplies you need already too.

Thanks though. I was going to add I'll check over the info you had posted on the molds you made for film, but now I see the link is gone too. hmmm seems like I wasted a few days asking this question on CC. Oh well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%