Do You Get Photo Comments?

Decorating By MaryAtk Updated 18 Sep 2011 , 6:23pm by olleharr

MaryAtk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAtk Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 24

How come nobody comments on photos anymore? Didn't there used to be a group here that was dedicated to making comments? What happened??

My last FIVE uploads never got comments. Perhaps I should realize I suck and pack it in?

23 replies
jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 24

I don't often get any comments either. Sometimes I forget to write something in my description so I write it in a comment (just in case you look at my photos and think she's got a load with 1 comment there lol) I think its because people don't view as much either. I think there are so many different cakes being added all the time people want to see them all and don't have time to comment on them all.

You have lots with comments though so I don't think its anything to do with you. I use my mobile, so I don't often comment as its really hard for me to tap in the box without tapping a smiley or posting my comment before its finished its really annoying!

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 24

@MaryAtk
I think its just the sheer amount of cakes that get uploaded, theres just so many to look at, you don't suck though you have way more comments and favourites in your gallery than I do! icon_lol.gif

@jennifercullen
Hi Jennifer! I've just seen your anniversary cake, its gorgeous! It has so many elements! The hearts inside the cake, the roses and the texture on the blue fondant! thats lovely! Did you paint it on?

zetasilver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zetasilver Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 24

Im a newbie and have had 1 pic out of 5 with comments. So many fantastic creations on here. i can only hope i could ever be that good!! Everyone has to start somewhere, it does make you feel like not bothering. Maybe mine do suck, but i was quite proud of them...!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 24

Nobody really comments any more on my photos either and here I thought I was getting better. You can't let it deter you - we're all artists in our own right icon_smile.gif
I agree it's probably because there are so many cakes on here.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

Nobody really comments any more on my photos either and here I thought I was getting better. You can't let it deter you - we're all artists in our own right icon_smile.gif
I agree it's probably because there are so many cakes on here.

does anybody want my comments? icon_smile.gif I can help if you want...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 24

.......I should realize I suck ..........

NO you don't suckicon_smile.gif Keep up the good work.
I have many pic with the likes of 1200 views and no comments. It happends to all of us.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 5:18pm
post #8 of 24

I try to comment on cakes I think are creative and beautiful in some distinctive way. Not that I don't comment because I don't like it, I may not make a comment because I've seen the same cake done several times and unless there's something a little different about it, or it's done exceptionally well, I just admire it and move on--or stick in my favs without comment. I look at a LOT of cakes on here.

I have posted cakes that have no comments that I too think could have deserved something, but hey...a ball cap is a ball cap and a soccer ball is a soccer ball! And yeah, I spent hours doing that stupid Mavericks logo out of gum paste, but who else would care about that but me? ;D

I joined that CC thread Critique Members Subgroup and they will make comments. But when I try to find that thread I get a 'post does not exist' notice until someone else posts something on it. Go figure.

In your descriptions ask for comments. And if you want critiques ask..but not if you just want to hear how good you are--depending on your level of confidence, you might take offense. I have often wanted to comment on a picture and offer a critique, but unless specifically asked, I won't. Some people take it personally if you offer an idea as to how to make something look better. Me? I welcome the advice from others. That's how we learn.
And if someone chooses not to comment, that's OK. It doesn't mean I did a bad job. Maybe I took a bad picture and it didn't show up very well. Maybe the cake's been done a gazillion times before. If I know my customer liked my cake that's what really matters to me.

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAtk

Perhaps I should realize I suck and pack it in?

Why would you make a comment like this?

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 6:52pm
post #10 of 24

I think alot of people want the "praise" comments as a way of stroking our egos that we did a good job. I like to comment, even if its just to say 'beautiful!" obviously it does make our day to hear those words of praise and encouragement. I know my pics look better in person, I use my terrible little phone to take pics to load easier...but I love doing cakes, it is a lot of work, and our group here realizes the work and hours it takes, so that's probably why some are looking for those few words.

I'm sitting here now having a few moments of quiet in my day baking simple Toll House Cookies for my grandkids I'm babysitting tonight...so happy my cakes for this week are done and I can enjoy some time looking at everyone's beautiful work this week.

Let's keep the spirit in which this forum was based going strong...keep it kind, even if its a critique, and don't take yourself too seriously, it is cake!! icon_smile.gif

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 9:09pm
post #11 of 24

I definitely think the sheer volume of cakes being uploaded here all the time is a big factor. And like carmijok said, 'who else would care about that but me' we all know nobody loves and appreciates the little details in a cake better than the person who made it! I wouldn't mind some critique on my cakes actually, but at the same time I wouldn't like to offer it because I feel like as someone who's not THAT experienced what right do I have to tell you how to do something better?

Zetasilver (i hope I have spelled that right) your cakes do not suck at all. I noticed the first one said it was your first novelty cake, I don't know what other cakes you have made previously but I think if that's one of your first go's its really good! My first cake was a fire engine, I was quite proud of it at the time, but looking back I bet it was bloody awful lol.

JamAndButtercream (as soon as I write ja my phone automatically comes up with your name now haha) for the blue rose thing I printed a rose off the computer, cut out some of the.lines to use as a template and then laid it on the cake and dusted with a blue lustre dust. It actually turned out even better than I expected. My mum loved it. So much so she sneaked £50 into my bank account for it yesterday which I intend to give back to her! Mothers! icon_biggrin.gif

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 10:03am
post #12 of 24

@jennifercullen
wow its sounds simple to do and the end result was really pretty! icon_biggrin.gif
the idea of the hearts inside was really cute too!

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 12:34pm
post #13 of 24

I also very rarely get comments on my cakes, and yes it is nice when you receive praise from your fellow cakers, however as others have said there are just SOOOO many cakes going on every hour that most of us simply dont have time to trawl through and comment on them all.

I've also noticed that a lot of comments on other cakes are requests for tutorials, so if your cake isn't 'complicated' (in that it needs instructions), then most people will probably just see it and think "nice- I may try that someday" but not need to comment. I'm sure everyone's cakes have inspired someone else at some point, even in secret icon_smile.gif

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 12:41pm
post #14 of 24

I wish there was a category based on level of expertise (pro, pro home baker, interm. etc.) also there should be one for cakes we wished to be critiqued honestly. good with the bad. How can one improve if we only get good comments ? I would love to know how someone would have done a technique differently to accomplish a similar look. I have been lucky and recieved lots of nice comments on some of my cakes. I try to give comments, true usually positive ones - but also wish I could be more honest to offer help on things i've learned along the way, but don't want to offend anyone. Like the idea of requesting honest opinions on how to's.... there is a difference between helping and criticizing. icon_smile.gif

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 12:41pm
post #15 of 24

I'm like Carmijok where I'll admire and move on. I will only comment if the cake is different than anything I've seen. There are so many cakes out there that very few catch my attention. I look at quite a bit of the new ones on here and while I realize that there is so much work that goes into a cake I won't comment that I know that. I do have quite a bit of favorites though!

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 1:53pm
post #16 of 24

I agree with the above. Most of my comments are on my cakes that are the ones I created myself vs when someone gives me a pic and says I want that! I dont expect any comments though, I know whether or not the cake is good or I could of done better.

Sandysdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandysdream Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 2:08pm
post #17 of 24

Okay, I thought it was only me ... I am in SA so there is a time difference and I thought maybe I am putting on the pics when everyone is asleep elsewhere. I also like comments to see what others, not my family, thinks. Maybe we are all a bit sensitive about our creations. I make a cake and think wow, this one is good, then the client comes in (I always watch their face expressions) and there is nothing there. After she's gone I feel down and not so sure the cake was really good. Then after a few weeks I get the one referral after the other from the client and I feel much better. Fact is, not everyone shows or says how they feel. Happy baking! icon_lol.gif

MaryAtk Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 2:40pm
post #18 of 24

I try to comment on everything I look at. Even just 'good job' or 'cute!' is nice.

I mostly posted this thread because I really remember there used to a concerted effort for everyone to get comments, and I was just wondering what happened. Did they disband? I think there were even requirements to belong to the group...like 100 posts or something. Was there an announcement I missed? icon_smile.gif

Well, hopefully this will inspire us all to comment more!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 2:42pm
post #19 of 24

I have been on these forums since 2004 and hardly any of my pics have comments. Who cares? I don't post them so I can get comments. I post them to share inspiration with others who may need it. I guess at the end of the day it all comes down to your ego. If the person you made the cake for is happy with your creation then you should be too. I think it's a little dramatic to say "I'm packing it in" just because people on the www didn't say anything about your pictures.

MaryAtk Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 2:46pm
post #20 of 24

Every time I post I get attacked for my choice of words.

Everyone's so damn literal and dramatic 'round here.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 4:00pm
post #21 of 24

Comments aren't that big of a deal to me. How many views and how many saves do.

Maybe I should keep my keyboard quiet, especially since I am someone that gets comments and has made it to favs a few times, but...

Cakes that get comments are cakes that are unique, spectacular, and interesting. But seriously, even cakes that aren't that great or aren't that original get comments and saved as a fav, and I'll tell you why.

Look at the Most Saved every day. 99% of the time they are photos taken against a backdrop, staged, color corrected, in focus, proper exposure etc. Those are the photos that catch the eye when flipping thru recently added. Think about how the thumbnail of your cake will look when someone is flipping thru recently added. Is it a jumbled mess because there is a bunch of stuff in the background? Is the pic blurry? Is it hard to see any detail when looking at it when it's 1/2" in size? Did you use a flash?

If you want your cake to stand out, you have to take as much time taking the picture as you did making the cake. That's my advice.

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 4:59pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAtk

I try to comment on everything I look at. Even just 'good job' or 'cute!' is nice.

I mostly posted this thread because I really remember there used to a concerted effort for everyone to get comments, and I was just wondering what happened. Did they disband? I think there were even requirements to belong to the group...like 100 posts or something. Was there an announcement I missed? icon_smile.gif

Well, hopefully this will inspire us all to comment more!

There was a group commenting on ALL cakes. It was disbanded a while back because there were just too many cakes and not enough people commenting, unfortunately. I still try to comment whenever I can. I often just pick one aspect of a cake that I like and comment on that, whether it's a border, the colors, the design, whatever..... thumbs_up.gif

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 5:22pm
post #23 of 24

I have 13 pages of pictures and have very few comments, and it does not bother me a bit. I guess it depends on "why" you really post a picture of a cake. If you need validation, then you will be disappointed because I think the commenting of cakes has slowed down. I like to look for ideas and I post my cakes to give others ideas--not to receive comments.

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 6:23pm
post #24 of 24

I agree with FromScratchSF that photos of cakes are very important in drawing attention to our cakes. I find I am drawn to bright clear photos myself. I couldn't possibly look at every single cake that is uploaded on this site daily. Not that I don't want to for sure, but because I just don't have the time it would take every day to go through them. I usually pick the cakes that pop out at me in the thumbnail photo. I try to leave comments on those but most of the time I'll just click as a favorite instead.

I don't get many comments on my cakes but it doesn't bother me. I'd rather they click the favorites button or simply stop by and take a look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%