Please Help. I Need Smooth Bc And Don't Have Hi-Ratio Shorte

Decorating By karukaru Updated 16 Sep 2011 , 7:04pm by karukaru

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 8

Hi! I don't know what to do. Should I try to do sugarshack's BC with crisco? I normally use indydebie's but I don't Luke the bubbles look. Is it true that if I use the paddle attachment, instead of the whisk, on low I won't get as many bubbles? I wanted to try shgarshack's BC but I called my local cake decorating supplies store and they are out. The other store is 30 min away and I am not going to go there for a $30 cake. [/u]

7 replies
karukaru Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 8

Thank you all in advance. I pressed the submit button b4 I could thank you. icon_biggrin.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 8

You can get smooth icing with Crisco. I just wouldn't use it for Sugarshack's recipe. That will definitely be a greasy icing. I think if you double Indy's recipe and mix it on low speed you should be ok. I think the key with Sugarshack's recipe is that the beater is completely submerged into the icing, which doesn't leave any room for air to get in. So as long as you keep your beater submerged you should have bubble free icing.

Edited to add: I NEVER use a whisk for an American Buttercream. The only time I use it is for IMBC or Charlotte's Whipped Cream Buttercream.

Annie

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 8

Also ,watch edna's video on her site (designmeacake.com) and watch her smooth her cakes. hth She has great videos on her site.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 8

Use your paddle attachment or you will get a lot of air bubbles. Also, watch your mixing speed and don't over mix it. That will help lessen air bubbles, too.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 8

If you do get a few air bubbles in your icing and see them on the cake, you can use parchment paper to gently smooth over them on the cake. I almost always use parchment paper to smooth out my crusting buttercream.

karukaru Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

Also ,watch edna's video on her site (designmeacake.com) and watch her smooth her cakes. hth She has great videos on her site.

Yes, I love, love, love that video! I can get it very smooth but it still had air bubbles. I am going to try the suggestions and double the recipe and use a paddle on low and i hope it works. Fingers crossed!

karukaru Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much for all the great suggestions. I am going to combine them and used them all! Hahaha. I also always add a little bit more milk because I find that it spreads more easily. I hope that doesn't add more bu.bbles

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%