How Would You Go About This

Business By Lenette Updated 19 Sep 2011 , 3:10pm by jason_kraft

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 7

I just had someone come in who works for a local company, she stated that someone (I think their suppliers) often buy food for their sales reps (incentives and that sort of thing). It got me to thinking this is an angle I have not tried for marketing.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to go about marketing to this particular group? Should I go to clerical staff, purchasing managers? I don't know....

Any suggestions are appreciated! TIA icon_smile.gif

6 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 7

I would start by working with the person who came in, you already have a contact there, and it might be difficult to get supplier information by cold-calling. Once you find out who the suppliers are you can contact them directly, talking to a manager in Sales would be a good bet, since they are the ones who will be reaping the benefits of the incentive -- it will be easier to sell to sales on the basis of quality as opposed to purchasing, who are probably more interested in price.

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 1:25am
post #3 of 7

We have found that the sales reps go to where the client offices want to order from. We have a lot of medical facilities and many many reps. Samples, along with our brochure/menu, dropped off at the offices, will make their way into the reps hands. Beware, many reps only carry American Express.... not really sure why this is, but it is a problems and causes issues for us.

jason_kraft Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 1:58am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun

Beware, many reps only carry American Express.... not really sure why this is, but it is a problems and causes issues for us.

That's probably because most companies issue Amex corporate cards to employees who incur reimbursable business expenses. At my day job I use my corporate Amex whenever possible to purchase something that I will be reimbursed for (plane tickets, meals on the road, relevant books, etc)...it's still possible to pay with cash or check, but then you have to fill out an exception report and explain why you didn't use your Amex.

If you will be targeting sales reps it might be worthwhile to get something like Square so you can accept credit cards.

https://squareup.com/

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 10:55am
post #5 of 7

I might have to check out square. We have awesome rates on our credit cards but do not accept Amex. Might have to compare. We are also having to look at a second phone line. We serve lunches to go, also, and a cake order can take waaayyy to long via phone. Thanks for the tip!

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 12:06pm
post #6 of 7

Well, Just be careful if you want to sign up for "square". I was all set to sign up, and was actually in the process of filling out the form... until it demanded my social security number. NO ONE is required to hand out a SSN unles it is to your employer. I tried entering my business tax id number, but this company (squareup) would not accept it. With all of the scams out there today, and the identity theft, I decided it really wasnt worth it to me. I cancelled the application process. Unless this company starts accepting tax numbers issued to us by our governing agencies, they wont be hearing from me.

jason_kraft Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceacake830

Well, Just be careful if you want to sign up for "square". I was all set to sign up, and was actually in the process of filling out the form... until it demanded my social security number.

Since Square assumes chargeback liability, they run a credit check on all individual applicants to make sure they are who they say they are, and to help cut down on fraud. I believe just about all merchant accounts will also require a SSN for a credit check.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%