Ganache Or Fondant Over Ganache?

Decorating By moochified Updated 18 Sep 2011 , 1:46am by moochified

moochified Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moochified Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 5:27am
post #1 of 9

This cake again (or should I say still):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moochified/6095694396/in/photostream

I assumed that this was fondant over ganache, and then it hit me - is it possible that this is just ganache? Or is that something that just isn't done?

Opinions please. Thank you icon_smile.gif

( I made my ganache for trial run tonight. Going to put it on the cake tomorrow!)

8 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 5:54am
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by moochified

This cake again (or should I say still):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moochified/6095694396/in/photostream

I assumed that this was fondant over ganache, and then it hit me - is it possible that this is just ganache? Or is that something that just isn't done?
Oh yes - you can ganache a cake - smooth it off and then decorate - nothing written anywhere that you can't thumbs_up.gif
Whether it be milk - dark or white chocolate Ganache....

Petrhaps it is a chocolate transfer over the top of the cake *shrug*
Perhaps it is drawn on *shrug*
Or perhaps it is very thin fondant cut out and stuck on *shrug*

Opinions please. Thank you icon_smile.gif
What would *you* prefer to do to get *that* look?

( I made my ganache for trial run tonight. Going to put it on the cake tomorrow!)
Excellant - report back on how you find it and what you think...

Bluehue.

moochified Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 5:59am
post #3 of 9

Thanks Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Well, my preference is to do whatever is going to make the cake that I make look like the one in the picture icon_biggrin.gif

It seems like it would be "easier" to get that crisp look with ganache rather than with a layer a fondant, but I don't know that for a fact.

I will post an update after my trial run icon_smile.gif

So the ganache will hold up on its own for a day or two? It won't melt or do anything weird assuming cool temp?

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 6:05am
post #4 of 9

White chocolate ganache isn't going to be that white. Unless you plan on using super white merkens, I'd say it's fondant or very well smoothed buttercream.

Bluehue Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 6:08am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by moochified

Thanks Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Well, my preference is to do whatever is going to make the cake that I make look like the one in the picture icon_biggrin.gif

It seems like it would be "easier" to get that crisp look with ganache rather than with a layer a fondant, but I don't know that for a fact.
Yes, you can/will get sharp edges and flat surfaces by just using ganache as your outter layer.
Slap it on thick - then smooth it off using either a spatular or scrapper - then to get that *polished* finished dip your spatular or scrapper in boiling water - wipe dry and then go around your cake again.... thumbs_up.gif

I will post an update after my trial run icon_smile.gif
Excellant.
So the ganache will hold up on its own for a day or two? It won't melt or do anything weird assuming cool temp?
Indeed it will - once you have that cake covered and smoothed off - your cake will be just fine for at least 3 days.
As long as you cover every inch of it - so as no air can penetrate - thats what wil make your cake stale...

Blue

moochified Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 6:13am
post #6 of 9

lilmissbakesalot: Fortunately, the person who wants this cake wants it to look like it does in the pic, which is an ivory color

Bluehue: Thanks so much. I'm so excited to see the results!!!

moochified Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 5:55am
post #7 of 9

So I don't think I can get the ganache smooth enough to have it be the surface of the cake icon_sad.gif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moochified/6154998972/

Maybe with more practice. Going to try a thin layer of fondant over it tomorrow and see how it goes.

Bluehue Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 1:10am
post #8 of 9

WELL DONE - if that is your first attemot then i say WELL DONE.
Due to other things happening i only just got to see this thread again.
If you haven't already - you could give it another coating of ganache and smooth that one over - again - put it on thick and then with a hot dry knife or spatular scrape off the excess.
If you are going to cover it with fondant (if you haven't already) then just tint it with a tad of *flesh* colour or even a tiny drop of yellow to get your ivory colour that you are chasing.

I have to say again - you did a brillante job - you should be very proud and pleased. thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

Bluehue.

moochified Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 1:46am
post #9 of 9

Awww, thanks so much Blue icon_smile.gif Yes, this was my first experience with ganache.

The fondant was a disaster so I tried another go with the ganache icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moochified/6157511000/

(disregard my thumbprint in the top right corner icon_lol.gif)

I'm pleased with the result, hoping that with more tries I will get better icon_smile.gif

Now I just need to figure out how to get the border nice and sharp icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%