Coloring A Cake

Decorating By cathyrose Updated 28 Sep 2011 , 12:44am by cathyrose

cathyrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyrose Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 1:29am
post #1 of 3

If i do not have an airbrushing machine and i want to to use white fondant to decorate my cakes and then color the pieces once it is assembled what is the best food coloring to use? do i mix it with anything? and what is the ratio to mix? and one more thing if i wanted the fondant to have a shiny color ex. a wine bottle how would i do that? sorry for the lame questions, just starting in this wonderful world of cake decorating.. but i LOVE it... cathy

2 replies
bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 4:26am
post #2 of 3

Use a gel food coloring with a enough lemon extract or clear vodka to get the consistency you'd like to paint with. Start with a little and little bits at a time. If you get too much let it sit for just a little while, the alcohol evaporates pretty quickly. To make a cake shiny most peoply use a light steaming with a clothes steamer. Hope this helps

cathyrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyrose Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 12:44am
post #3 of 3

thanks for the info i appreciate it.. as for the steamer i do not have one yet.. icon_sad.gif i read in a forum once that someone used one part vodka and one part liquid glucose and painted it over the parts they wanted shiny.. the pics looked awesome , have u ever tried that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%