Splatter Effect

Decorating By Kimzie Updated 23 Sep 2011 , 7:22am by FabricGal

Kimzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimzie Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 14

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me with some ideas on how to splatter? I've seen some pretty cool cakes here on CC and wanted to do it for a 30th birthday cake I'm making tomorrow. Can I use straight gel colors mix with water ( I have no vodka left for applying) ?

Thanks!

13 replies
Tinacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinacakes Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 14

water will take a long time to dry, try using clear vanilla instead of vodka

Kimzie Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 14

Thank you for the advise! So I just mix a bit of the gel/paste color with the extract? and just basically throw it on? LOL

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 14

Use a stiff brittle brush, hold it upside down, and stroke the bristles gently pulling them back and releasing them to cause them to splatter. You can use water, but it does take a little time to dry. That is okay if you have time for it to dry. The stiff brittle brush is great. I use this technique to splatter on my oil paintings. It works just as well on cake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 14

Check your extract bottles and choose the one that has the highest alcohol content. It might be lemon or vanilla *IF* it is *real* vanilla.
Yes, just mix the color w/the extract. Depending on how fine you want your splatters you can just load a fork or paint bursh or toothbrush (new, UNused - haha) to make it splatter. A toothbrush will give a very fine splattering - dip it in the color and use your thumb run over the bristles. Next would probably be a fork - let it drip off the tines; the paint brush could be flicked or shaken over the icing.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 14

Do it outside. Definitely. I just did this and made a whopping mess. lol Wear gloves- sturdy ones. It's the only time I've ever had a green thumb. icon_smile.gif

Kimzie Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 14

LOL! All great advises! thank you everyone! So in the end, it really doesn't matter whether it's melted fondant, gel color etc..it all achieves the same effect? minus of course the mess, hahaha! thumbs_up.gif

Kimzie Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 14

One more question thou. Does the gel color need to be a little bit thicker when splattering, then oppose to when painting on fondant? icon_confused.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 1:35am
post #9 of 14

I think different mediumns (melted fondant; gel color) will give slightly different finish but similar results. My thoughts on cinsistency would be yes, go a bit thicker than one would to paint with.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 1:49am
post #10 of 14

Almond extract works for mixing if you are out of vodka....

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:01am
post #11 of 14

I have used a small 'nip', bottle of vodka and it was very cheap.

If you want to avoid a mess inside, while 'splattering', I would suggest putting your cake in side a very large 3 sided box. The box will catch the over splatter. and you can just throw it away when you are done.

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:33am
post #12 of 14

Can anyone guide me to a photo of a cake with this effect I would like to see what it looks like TIA

libi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
libi Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 3:02pm
post #13 of 14

hey, im brand new here.. so im not sure how to get around yet.. so I apologize for changing the subject,,, but, I saw somewhere on here.. lol.. about the shredded coconut...its huge.. and they were discussing how to shave it.... is this not sold anywhere? so in order to get big coconut flakes, I HAVE to shave it myself? icon_sad.gif thanks yall.

FabricGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FabricGal Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 7:22am
post #14 of 14

I did a google search for splatter cake.

One kind is with the toothbrush splatter effect that has little dots or tiny rounds of color ending up on the cake--very artsy, kinda like raindrops. If anyone does card crafting, this is a nice technique for the background of a card.

The other kind is a splatter like the artist Jackson Pollock did on canvas. Long-ish, thick-ish, ropey lengths of color on his canvas, and there were some images of this kind of splatter in my googled results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%