Help!! Please- My 6" Tiers

Decorating By MerlotCook Updated 15 Sep 2011 , 11:21pm by cakestyles

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 1:40am
post #1 of 17

are constantly overbaking and they crumble when I bake it. I am using 3" deep pans and put 2 1/2 cups batter in them. The scratch mix I'm using bakes perfectly for all other sizes. Can somebody please, please help me!

16 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 1:45am
post #2 of 17

What temp are you baking at? You could try lowering the temp 25 degrees and see if that helps.

MerlotCook Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 1:51am
post #3 of 17

Thanks, I've tried that...I started at 350 and when that one didn't work I tried t 325. I use an oven thermometer to check the temp because my oven is 25 off.

Olivia02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Olivia02 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 2:01am
post #4 of 17

Are you taking them out of the pans while they are still hot?

MerlotCook Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 2:10am
post #5 of 17

I let them cool 10 minutes in the pan and then take them out...they seem a bit crunchy on the outside though.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 2:17am
post #6 of 17

I won't bake over 2", the outside is done just too far before the middle. Why not bake three 2" layers?

cakestyles Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 2:18am
post #7 of 17

Is this happening with all flavors?

It may be they need to be pulled out of the oven a bit sooner, or try lowering your oven rack if you don't have a convection oven.

MerlotCook Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 2:23am
post #8 of 17

Kory, are you saying to put less than the 2 1/2 cups batter in the pan? I bake 2 layers and half them both to get my 4" high cakes with 3 layers of filling. I might try making them thinner if that would help. cakestyles I will lower my rack on the next one that's going in the oven in about 10 minutes. I've never baked a 6" before so I don't know if it happens with all flavors. This is so frustrating! I hate throwing out cakes!

Thanks everyone for the ideas..they are certainly appreciated.

cakestyles Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 2:29am
post #9 of 17

My 6" pans are 3" tall also because they were purchased a while ago.

They can be temperamental...you may need to lower the oven temp just a bit more because it sounds like the outside is baking too quick.

I don't bake 3" layers either, I bake them to 2" and tort. I keep meaning to order 2" high pans, thank you for reminding me. I only think of it when I need to bake a 6". lol

Good luck with this next batch.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:03am
post #10 of 17

Or you could try using a flower nail in the center. It heats up and helps the center cook at the same time as the edges.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:03am
post #11 of 17

Or you could try using a flower nail in the center. It heats up and helps the center cook at the same time as the edges.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:09am
post #12 of 17

Ok, I think I misunderstood your question a bit... I thought you were making a 6" tall cake and were talking about a 3" deep pan. I don't know how many cups of batter you would need as all recipes are different. I know I put about 2.75 "white scoops" in my 6" pans to get a 2" cake height. But yes, if all else fails you can bake thinner layers. Other than that I have no idea why just your 6" pans would be so finicky! icon_smile.gif

Torimomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torimomma Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:10am
post #13 of 17

The flower nail should make a difference. I was only using them in bigger pans but it makes them all turn out better for me.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 4:46am
post #14 of 17

Crunchy on the outside? How are you prepping your pans? Are you greasing the sides?

teresa13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teresa13 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 5:20am
post #15 of 17

I use W i l t o n ' s baking strips soaked in water and pinned around the outside of all my pans and bake at 325. The cakes bake very close to level and no crusting on the outer sides of the cake. You can also cut an old clean towel into strips, soak them in water and pin to the outside of the pan.

MerlotCook Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 5:23pm
post #16 of 17

I got my problem fixed thanks to the ideas here! I used Pam instead of my oil, shortening, flour mixture; I turned the heat down a bit more, and I rotated racks about half way through. Thanks!!

cakestyles Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 11:21pm
post #17 of 17

Great! I'm happy you sorted it out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%