Advise For Crusting Buttercream!!!

Baking By THECAKEBAR Updated 16 Sep 2011 , 3:13pm by TexasSugar

THECAKEBAR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THECAKEBAR Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 1:17am
post #1 of 12

MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT MAKING BC WAS GOOD.. (SO I THOUGHT) . IT LOOKED GOOD AND TASTED GREAT.. BUT WHEN IT CAME TIME TO ICE THE CAKE IT NEVER CRUSTED OVER ... LEAVING ME UNABLE TO SMOOTH MY CAKE PROPERLY AND UNABLE TO PIPE AN IMAGE FROM TRANSFER PAPER!!

TIPS PLEASE !!

11 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 1:31am
post #2 of 12

What recipe did you use. That would help us to know. Thanks

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 12

What recipe did you use?

Was your cake frozen?

THECAKEBAR Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 12

I used the recipe from the Wilton decorating basics book:
1 cup shortening
7-8 tsp of milk/water
1lb confectioners sugar
1 tbls meringue powder (didnt use this)

the recipe didnt call for butter ... but I used 1 stick

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 12

The recipe you used has a lot of liquid in it. That makes it very soft. If you used the butter *in addition * to the shortening that is why it did not crust.

Here is a good crusting reicpe for you to try
2 cups butter
1 cup shortening
2 pounds powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons flavoring

Beat the butter and shortening about 5 minutes; add about 1/3 of the sugar and mix 3-5 minutes; add another 1/3 of the sugar, along with the flavoring and beat well; add least of sugar and mix on low speed for 5 minutes- until very creamy.

If you don't want that muc h icing on hand, then use
1 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 lb sugar
1 Tablespoon flavoring
Proceed with the same mixing instructions as above.

THECAKEBAR Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

The recipe you used has a lot of liquid in it. That makes it very soft. If you used the butter *in addition * to the shortening that is why it did not crust.

2 cups butter
1 cup shortening
2 pounds powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons flavoring

Beat the butter and shortening about 5 minutes; add about 1/3 of the sugar and mix 3-5 minutes; add another 1/3 of the sugar, along with the flavoring and beat well; add least of sugar and mix on low speed for 5 minutes- until very creamy.

1 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 lb sugar
1 Tablespoon flavoring

thanks for the tip ... but your recipe has butter as well ... do you use shortening with transfat or 0 transfat?

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 12:08am
post #7 of 12

I'm pretty sure the meringue powder is what helps Wilton's BC to crust...

pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 12:37am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnSCakery

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

2 cups butter
1 cup shortening
2 pounds powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons flavoring

1 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 lb sugar
1 Tablespoon flavoring

thanks for the tip ... but your recipe has butter as well ... do you use shortening with transfat or 0 transfat?

What kakeladi was wondering was if you used the 1 stick butter in addition to the 1 cup shortening. If so, it threw off your ratios (especially with that much liquid). I think the reason the Wilton has that much liquid is because of the addition of the meringue powder, and the fact that they push the no transfat crisco use in their recipes.

If you use Kakeladi's recipe, you will have a wonderful tasting (not as mouth coating IMO) crusting buttercream!

THECAKEBAR Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 12:49am
post #9 of 12

thanks for all the advice... I wont go wrong next time icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 1:07am
post #10 of 12

Wilton has really pushed the notion that meringue powder is what makes b'cream crust. That is NOT SO. It is dried egg white w/lots of additives. It might help a *very little bit* but not enough to make that much difference in a recipe.
What makes icing crust is the ratio of sugar to fat. The less fat the more chance it will crust. I have used 0 transfat. It does make the icing softer and tend not to crust but again, just reduce the amount of fat by 1/4 cup and see how that does. Maybe you will need to reduce it by 1/2 cup until it is the way you want it.

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 1:21am
post #11 of 12

Wilton's recipe is fine. It worked every time I used it (I don't use it any more.) It probably didn't work because you added butter. Maybe you should try to do it again following the instructions precisely to see if it works. HTH.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 3:13pm
post #12 of 12

That's the Wilton recipe that is now in the Course books.

The 7-8 teaspoons of water if for a stiff consistency and would be slightly over 2 tablespoons of water. I follow the recipe that they had in the book before, which is 2 tablespoons of water for stiff, 3 tablespoons of water for med, and 4 tablespoons of water for thin.

If the butter was adding in addition to the 1 cup crisco, that will slow down the crusting. Next time add it in place of 1/2 cup of the crisco.

I've been using the non trans fat crisco for 4 years now with out a problem in crusting. In fact the icing I made in class this week crusted in less than 10 minutes.

I do still use the MP in my icing, because in my area with the heat and the humidity I have found it helps stabilize the icing. When I don't use it my icing acts odd and gets oily around the bottom edge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%