Cake Advice

Decorating By Aish90 Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 7:14pm by diane

Aish90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aish90 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 7:38am
post #1 of 5

I recently posted add to make cakes. Until now I have only made cakes for family and friends. I have received an inquiry about how much I would charge .
I am willing to charge low, as I am new to this. But how low? Also how do I know how much cake to make to feed 35-40 people?

The cakes I have made before are:
chocolate cake with cinnamon and caramel frosting
Vanilla cake with swiss meringue butter-cream

She has asked me if I can make a cake with vanilla frosting and strawberry filling. Does anyone have a recipe they are certain is good for strawberry filling? She also asked me to make cupcakes ' the best flavour you got' ....but I don't really have a wide range.... does anyone have any ideas? recipes?

I truly want to do a good job on this and have always wanted to make cakes for other people but have always been too afraid.

I would appreciate ANY guidance/advice/help/recipe for a newbie. Please help.

tc

Aish

4 replies
Aish90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aish90 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 7:59am
post #2 of 5

Also, how do i plan making this cake for 35-40 people as well as 30 cupcakes for the 24th?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 5

To be honest, I think you should play with recipes before you start taking orders. I don't always feel that a cake that you are getting paid to make is a great time to try out new recipes.

This is a chart that tells you how many servings different size cakes will give you. http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

And this is a thread that will give you some idea of pricing.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694973-pricing.html

You said you are afraid to do cakes for others, what are your fears?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 5

I totally agree with TexasSugar! You need to feel comfortable with what you sell. Taking orders is not the time to experiment. Good luck! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%