Stacking This Cake...would You Use Support?

Decorating By Cakeopoly Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 1:54pm by Cakeopoly

Cakeopoly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeopoly Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone, I have a cake that I'm going to be stacking and would really appreciate any advice you could offer.

The cake will be 4 layers tall, and the cake layers are about 1" each, it will be a basic rectangular shape. I will be filling it with buttercream, and I was going to cover the whole structure with ganache and then fondant. My guess is that the cake will be about 6" tall by the time I am done stacking and filling.

I would really like your input as to whether I should reinforce the structure and what you would suggest I reinforce it with.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

7 replies
mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 12:10am
post #2 of 8

I am not an expert but it doesn't sound like you wouldnt need any. But if it makes you more comfortable sharpen a wood dowel that is just a little longer than your cake and put it in your cake and hammer it into your cake drum.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 12:25am
post #3 of 8

I generally always put a dowel down the center...even on layer cakes...especially if they're traveling or if the filling is soft. Probably I don't need it, but it makes me feel better! icon_smile.gif

Cakeopoly Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 12:29am
post #4 of 8

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking it didn't really need support either, but I don't want to tempt fate either!!! I do have to move and transport it, so it might be a good idea to reinforce it. I have never used a cake drum, what is made of?

Cakeopoly Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 12:31am
post #5 of 8

Thanks carmijok, we must have been posting at the same time! I agree it's probably a good idea, better safe than sorry!!!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:08am
post #6 of 8

Naaa... I wouldn't use any supports. I've stacked 6 layers with riskier fillings than buttercream with no problem. If you're anywhere near me, where we have just enjoyed our 70th day of 100F+ temps, I'd chill it before transporting.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:34am
post #7 of 8

Diane you must be in Texas like I am!. Cakeopoly a cake drum is what I put my cakes on if it is a round cake. If it is square I use half inch foam board. I get mine from Global Sugar Arts

Cakeopoly Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks Diane and mcalhoun thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%