Need Fondant By Friday.. Need Opinions

Decorating By DECOR8Rgirl Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 12:52am by cakeandpartygirl

DECOR8Rgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DECOR8Rgirl Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 16

I need to have fondant by this Friday. I have made MMF, but notice it rolls out a lot softer than Wilton's (which tastes gross). I am going to be covering a 3 tier cake, and will be doing some decorations in the fondant/gum past molds (so nothing sculptural like bows).

Should I flavor Wilton's, then combine the two together to get the benefit of the MMF taste, but the durability of Wilton? What about Duff's?

I am going for taste and ease of use as I am a beginner. I can't get Satin Ice or Fondariffic by then since there are no local stores nearby, and I don't want to spend $40 in shipping - this is for my anniversary, not a paying client.

Thanks!

15 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 16

Personally I'd go with Michele Foster's fondant (in the recipes section). It's very easy to use, works like a dream and tastes delicious!! icon_biggrin.gif

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 16

I'm a fan of MMF. I find it very easy to work with. Wilton like you said tastes gross and I won't use it unless I have to and only then for decorations.

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 16

I mix about 1/4 of white modeling chocolate into my fondant works fantastic easy to handle and super good taste! (home made fondant) nothing better! if you try it make sure you knead your chocolate first or you will have chunks of chocolate in your fondant.

dzh115 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dzh115 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 16

If you have Amazon Prime, you can order Fondarific from Amazon with free two day shipping. It costs about $25 for 5 pounds.

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 16

Avoid Wilton fondant at all costs! Because like you said, it tastes gross. I personally haven't had any luck making MMF, I just never could get it to come together right. I haven't tried Duffs. Could you add more powdered sugar to MMF to make it sturdier?

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 16

Michelle Foster all the way! I use Wilton for figure making only, I always shave it on hand but for things I know wont be eaten icon_smile.gif

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 16

MMF is my favorite. It is important to know when you are making MMF to let it set overnight. If you try to work it immediately after you make it, it will definitely be too soft to work with. I just tried Satin Ice. I loved the way it worked, but I strongly disliked the smell and taste, probably won't use it again. I will stick to my MMF for sure. MMF is also great using the Kraft chocolate marshmallows if you want a chocolate fondant.

carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 5:50pm
post #9 of 16

fondarific . com... they are based out of Savannah, GA and you can expedite shipping but I am in VA and ordered on Monday or Tuesday and had it by Friday.

carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 5:53pm
post #10 of 16

fondarific . com ... they are based out of Savannah, GA and you can even expedite shipping. I live in VA and ordered on a Monday or Tuesday and had it by Friday (w/o the expedited shipping). It is fantastic fondant, taste like candy!

BelaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BelaB Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 5:57pm
post #11 of 16

Michelle Foster's fondant for sure. It's awesome!

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 6:19pm
post #12 of 16

Another vote for Michelle Foster's fondant. WAY better than MMF. If I had to stick with what you're asking though, I would probably mik Wilton and MFF together as I don't like either one of them seperately.

sarahokie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahokie Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 6:42pm
post #13 of 16

If making it, I also prefer Michelle Foster's Fondant over the standard marshmallow fondant. I've used Duff's before and liked how easy is to work with and it also tastes good. I believe I read that Duff's is the same as fondarific.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 12:17am
post #14 of 16

Amazon is my vote! I get all my Fondariffic from them, they have great prices. Michaels does have a 50% off coupon out right now if you want to get Duffs.

ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 12:32am
post #15 of 16

I made a vanilla fondant for the first time last week. Although it was messy to make, it has such a good taste I will be making my own again in the future.

If you don't have time to make a batch, I would definitely shop at Amazon.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 12:52am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Personally I'd go with Michele Foster's fondant (in the recipes section). It's very easy to use, works like a dream and tastes delicious!! icon_biggrin.gif

Me too!
thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%