Cake Recipes For Someone With An Egg/ Eggwhite Allergy?

Baking By stephilde Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 3:39pm by instant-gratificaketion

stephilde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephilde Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 10

My friends daughter has lots of food allergies one being eggs. she asked me to make her birthday cake but i am trying to figure out a recipe to make. has anyone tried any recipes or subsititutions and how did it turn out?

9 replies
jcstefanick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcstefanick Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 10

My daughter has egg and peanut allergies, and I just use a box mix and replace the eggs called for with a mixed powder called Egg Replacer from Ener-G. I can find it in my grocery store in the natural foods isles... however, it can also be ordered online directly from Ener-g.com site.
Its the only egg replacement I've found that bakes up normally.
Good luck!

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 12:55am
post #3 of 10

No eggs, no egg substitutes ..

WACKY CAKE
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp vinegar
5 tbsp oil
1 cup water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 8" round pan lined with paper.
In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
Mix water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla in a bowl or jug. Pour over the dry ingredients, and stir until mixed. BATTER WILL BE THIN.
Bake 25-28 minutes. Check if done before removing.
Cake will be fragile while hot: Stand 10 minutes before turning out ..

LittleBites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBites Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:17am
post #4 of 10

I found this recipe on CC, made it one time and I really liked it. The only problem was the frosting listed melted once I put it on the cake. The lady that I practice this recipe for said it was bc of the soy margarine.

Milk-free, Egg-free Cake & Frosting
Ingredients
Milk-free, Egg-free Cake Recipe
3 cups cake flour
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 c shortening (non-butter flavored)
3 Tbs water, 3 Tbs oil, 2 tsp baking powder – whisk together before adding to mix (this is
the egg substitute)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Vanilla Silk Frosting
3 c confectioners sugar
1/2 cup soy margarine (available at health food stores)
3 Tbs water
1 tsp vanilla

Cocoa Frosting
1/2 c soy margarine
1/2 c Hershey’s unsweetened Cocoa powder
2 2/3 c unsifted confectioners sugar
1/4 c water
1 tsp vanilla

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour 2 cake pans. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Using electric mixer, beat until well mixed, approx. 4 mins. Pour batter into pans. Bake for 40-45 mins, until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 mins before removing to wire racks. Cool completely on racks.

3.For both frosting recipes, beat soy margarine on medium speed in large mixer bowl until softened, about 1 min. Add remaining ingredients. Beat on low speed until ingredients are moistened. Beat on medium speed until creamy.
5.Buttercream with butter flavoring – milk-free EXCEPT for butter flavoring
6.1 cup vegetable shortening – Crisco butter-flavored
7.Or – if butter flavoring isn’t acceptable
8.½ c plain Crisco plus ½ c soy margarine
9.1 tsp vanilla
10.1 lb sifted confectioners sugar
11.2 tbs soy milk
12.(If making this recipe for a party and not just my daughter, I use 1 tbs soy milk – Silk brand – and enough Karo to make it spreadable.

pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:40am
post #5 of 10

I have dairy and egg allergies, and absolutely love the wacky cocoa cake recipe. I have found, however, that it doesn't stack well.

I also agree with the previous poster about the Ener-G egg replacer. It's made with a couple of different starches (the only one I remember is the tapioca, and I think potato--but the cat is on my lap, so I'm not getting up to check out the box), and there's no weird chemicals in it, no worries there! The only time I have had a problem with it, was when I made a box of brownie mix and used it instead of eggs. The brownies baked up, and all the oil was on top of them! Don't know what happened, and I've never experienced it before.

Another option, and you'd have to check with your friend, is using only the yolks of the eggs. My allergist says it's the egg whites that trigger the allergic reaction, and that if I want to use the yolks for baking, I can.

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:52am
post #6 of 10

How is the wacky cake when done as cupcakes? I have a friend who's son is allergic to eggs and dairy and I'm trying to find a good cupcake recipe.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 2:20am
post #7 of 10

I found this recipe a few months ago, unfortunately I do not remember the source. It had wonderful reviews. HTH

Here is a recipe for an Easy Chocolate (eggless) cake

Makes a 20cm (8") cake - serves 12..
Spray a 20cm (8") round cake baking pan with non-stick baking spray. Line the base with non-stick
baking paper. This is important as this cake will stick to the pan if you do not take this step.

Ingredients.
250g butter, chopped
1 1/2 cup (375ml) water
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
1/3 cup (35g) cocoa powder
2/3 cup (100g) dark chocolate, chopped
1 2/3 cups (250g) plain flour, sifted
1 teaspoon bi-carbonate of soda (bi-carb soda)

Baking Temperature
The oven should be preheated to 160oC (325oF)

Method.

1. Combine the butter, water, sugar, cocoa powder and chocolate together in a medium sized
saucepan.
2. Place over gentle heat. Bring to the boil whilst stirring. You need to stir until everything has
dissolved to stop the mix from burning. Be careful that the mix does not boil over.
3. Simmer gently for 5 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat. Cover with a lid and leave to cool to room temperature.
5. Whisk in gently the flour and bi-carb soda into the cooled liquid. Whisk until all lumps are
removed. Do not over whisk; you are not trying to add air into the batter just remove any flour
lumps.
6. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan. Remember the baking pan must be lined with non-stick
baking paper. The batter will be quite liquid and will level naturally. Tap the tin on the kitchen bench
three times to remove any large air bubbles.
7. Bake in a preheated oven set at 160oC (325oF) for 80 mins. The top of the cake will crack. The
cake in the photo is just starting to crack, this was taken at 50mins. Dont worry the cracks will settle
and be hidden when you turn the cake out of the tin.
8. Remove from the oven. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins. Gently turn out onto a cake plate or
a cake board lined with non stick baking paper and leave to cool. This cake is quite soft whilst still
warm which is why I suggest you do not turn out onto a cake wire to cool.

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 2:47am
post #8 of 10

I use the ener-g egg replacer as well, and have been able to find it at my grocery store. I'm pretty sure health stores would probably keep something like that in stock?

pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 3:13am
post #9 of 10

Instant-gratificaketion, I use the wacky cocoa cake all the time for cupcakes. I bake at 400 for 7 minutes, then drop the temp to 350 for another 10 or 11 minutes.

I take a few vegan (buttercream done with EarthBalance soy butter) cupcakes to the farmers market. It's funny, because people will always say "ewww... vegan, I'll take the regular kind", then exclaim how good it is. I never tell them that the cupcakes they are eating are the same as the vegan, just with a different frosting icon_smile.gif

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 3:39pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettmybunny

Instant-gratificaketion, I use the wacky cocoa cake all the time for cupcakes. I bake at 400 for 7 minutes, then drop the temp to 350 for another 10 or 11 minutes.

I take a few vegan (buttercream done with EarthBalance soy butter) cupcakes to the farmers market. It's funny, because people will always say "ewww... vegan, I'll take the regular kind", then exclaim how good it is. I never tell them that the cupcakes they are eating are the same as the vegan, just with a different frosting icon_smile.gif

Nice! That's awesome! Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%