Do You Offer Gift Certificates On Custom Work?

Business By Dreme Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 3:48am by scp1127

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 3

Just curious as to if anyone else offer certificates.

I'm a small home based business that does custom work. This month must be lower your price in some way month. Lately I have been asked about donating gift certificates to different events. I also have been asked about groupon and things like that. I may be looking at this wrong, but if I had a storefront with everyday regular occurring items, I would be more willing to offer certificates or do some type of special maybe for seasonal items or something. (No groupon through....I shut that down when they called. So not cool with offering any type of discount on wedding cakes, which they suggested). I just feel like custom work is not something gift certificate are used for. It got me wondering do the big timers offer certificates? Does Ron or Sylvia do that? Does someone who does all the design work for weddings have certificates? I don't picture Preston doing that. Something is just odd about it. I know I cant touch the work that they do. I'm no where near there yet and don't mean to sound snobbish, but I don't know, i'm not sure if I want to offer them for custom work.

2 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 2:24am
post #2 of 3

I think that those types of questions fall into the nature of running a business. Now if I was donating to a charity i might consider doing a couple of gift certificates e.g. 25 or 50 dollars off an order, but as an ongoing cost of doing business I wouldnt.

I dont believe any of the people you mentioned offer gift certificates because their clientel arent concerned about price.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 3:48am
post #3 of 3

I will bet that the big guys all donate to charity, but I doubt they donate a GC to be used by anyone.

Can you give a GC for custom cupcakes or a 6 or 8 inch cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%